Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Feed sack fabric concern >

Feed sack fabric concern

Feed sack fabric concern

Old 07-06-2020, 02:15 PM

Default Feed sack fabric concern

Found a bag of reproduction feed sack fabric but no idea what pattern I had in mind. Have to admit this bag has been in my fabric room for a long tine. Rainbow of pastel colors...and a lot of fabric.

So question is: if you were to find this fabric in your room, what pattern would you use. I can only think of dresden fan or Holly Hobby...no to those. Hate applique and template is packed away.

Looking for easy pattern since I found out wife of DH bulddy is donating a kidney to her sister. Yeah....two more quilts to make.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 07-06-2020 at 04:26 PM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 07-06-2020, 02:27 PM

I am very fond of the basic patchwork quilts, and size square will do. The more variety of fabrics the better. And the Irish Chain is another favorite of mine.

And the rail fence is fast and easy if you want to make them quick. And the Trip Around the World is quick. It depends on how much of each fabric you have and determine what to make.

Last edited by quiltingcandy; 07-06-2020 at 02:30 PM.
Old 07-06-2020, 04:04 PM

If it was me I would make a simple 4 patch or double 4 patch or maybe
a log cabin. Check Google Image for some ideas.

https://tinyurl.com/ya5llokr

Old 07-06-2020, 04:41 PM
Power Poster

Watson just posted her Whirligig quilt top that would look great in reproduction and white.
Old 07-06-2020, 05:01 PM

disappearing four patch would be neat with a white or off white background.
Old 07-06-2020, 05:33 PM

I just checked Watson's pic..OMG just love it
Old 07-07-2020, 05:40 AM

The feedsack prints all play nicely together, especially when paired with crisp white (white on white works nicely), you can also use period shades of pink, blue, green, yellow. Think any basic easy block that is roughly half background. Churn Dash, simple Stars, 9-patch, Broken Dishes... You can also go more all over color with something like Rail Fence. Because of the scale of the prints, I prefer to keep pieces around 2" or so.

For those that wish to showcase their quilting, you can do alternate plain squares, otherwise I typically do all over designs or at least sashing because my piecing is stronger than my quilting.

Edit: Here's a link to my album page. I need to add to it, but you might get some ideas in my "unfinished tops" section.
https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...56-albums.html

Last edited by Iceblossom; 07-07-2020 at 05:45 AM.
Old 07-07-2020, 06:03 AM
Power Poster

Those fabrics scream traditional pattern to me. But that's not a rule by any means!!
Old 07-07-2020, 06:18 AM

One of the first quilt tops I was ever gifted with was made with feed sack fabrics it was the traditional Missouri Star pattern and I was in love. I was to die for and my inspirations to do what ever it took to learn to quilt this way. I only wish I had kept that quilt top safe and not worn it out. My sister who was 21 years older than I used a lot of feed sacks to clothe her daughter in and the remaining pieces went into her quilts. What an inspiration that was. She made a different pattern for each of the 3 younger sisters and we all went gaga over them.
Using any traditional pattern should work with your feed sacks. It doesn't have to be anything elaborate. Simple is good too. Let the fabrics do the speaking. A nice colorful sashing between each block sets them off nicely too.
Old 07-07-2020, 06:28 AM

While tiding up my sewing room early this AM I looked at the fabric again. I think the fabric has to age a bit more before I decide on a block pattern. TYSM to everyone who helped me with this current issue...lol