Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Feeling left out. >

Feeling left out.

Feeling left out.

Old 04-29-2010, 03:00 AM

MI was feeling left out at my guild. I use to love to go . And loved to join in the charities they did . And the trips they took I just loved to go on . And then some one came up to me and said you made that. it seemed I had been blacked balled for some reason. No one was sitting with me and when I changed my table I was asked to move. Made me take a good look at the guild it self. I never went back the next year. To many were quilt ploice or were just to rude. and many made you feel not wanted. When I firt joined it was not that way. I guss to many people now.
Old 04-29-2010, 03:02 AM

It's their loss.
I'm sorry they made you feel unwelcome.
Maybe the group did get too large, as you say.
I know this online group isn't the same as human contact but I've never read anything here that would make anyone feel unwelcome. So stay here with us! :-)
Old 04-29-2010, 03:22 AM

How rude those people seem to be! Quilting is a form of expression! Every one telling a different story, who is anyone to snub there nose at what you make?!I dont like people like that. Im with fabric-holic, it is there loss honey, you stay here with your family!And (((hugs))), Im sorry they made you feel like that.
Old 04-29-2010, 03:23 AM

I have heard of this in the treament of a newcomer to a guild. I never considered joining one because of this. There are cliques in a lot clubs.
Old 04-29-2010, 03:35 AM

I have heard of this also, so I haven't joined (don't want to be back in high school!?!). There is another one close by that is not suppossed to be like that, but I would rather just be here!
Old 04-29-2010, 04:05 AM

So many times people are rude when there's no need. AND it's not just quilters. Several years ago my sister and I were INVITED to join a rubber stamping group. We showed up on time and sat down. The polyester patties that came in with their boufant hairdos from the 60's (right down to the bows in the front--and this was in the 90's) asked us to move. By the time they got done we were shoved to the outskirts of the room. The leader was showing cards that were going to be made and kept repeating, "This is NOT a beginner class." and looking at us when she said it. Finally I stood up, looked at Sis and said in a loud enough voice to be heard by most, "I don't need to be in a group like this. These people are ignorant and rude. If you want to stay go ahead but I'll be in the car." Later on some of the same women were in a shop in Champaign that was owned by a friend of mine and mentioned that they belonged to that group, when my friend said that she knew two women that went to a meeting and were treated rudely they said, "Yes, we didn't want them. They only wanted to join for the 10% discount given to members." My friend told them that both of us had excellent jobs and spent several hundred $ a month in her store--with no discount. She added, "Your loss, my gain. Thank you."
Old 04-29-2010, 04:08 AM

Been there gone thru that. Seems many forget that they were once beginners themselves. I joined a group to make military quilts, they had asked for help. However they didn't say they wanted only perfect sewers! I called them out on that when I got told my work was not good enough and never would be. The response was priceless to me asking then why ask beginners when you know dog gone well you want perfection? They could not answer. I suggested next time you ask for help, specify that beginnners are not welcome to join your group to make quilts for military as you want perfection! The look I was given was again priceless. A few ate the kitchen sink that day.
Another time, at the last meeting someone was giving tips out = a lint brush to get animal hair off of the piece. One gal who has no pets turned to another and said within earshot, well they should not have pets to begin with. I gave her a dirty look as I was offended since I have 2 cats and 2 dogs! Hey it's a personal choice, just because you personally choose to not have them please do not diss those who do!
This person was the same one who had said my work would never be good enough. She makes plenty of mistakes in her own work, but seems to think that because she is the club expert on HST's that she is perfect.
Oh well, she is no better than anyone else there. Everyone is human, we are all there to enjoy the social setting and others works of art.
I have come to realize that some just like total control over what others can do since their own lives are unhappy.
Bottom line, no one has to like my work but ME!
Don't let a few sour people ruin your club experience. They are the ones missing out not you.
Old 04-29-2010, 04:11 AM

I'm sorry that they don't "want" you, but that's their loss and if you join another guild you will be their gain. Please don't feel left out. Everyone on board is here for you.
Old 04-29-2010, 04:20 AM
Banned

Thats why I don't get involved in groups like that! Its not just quilt groups! I have been known to speak my mind. ;)

How bout a flower? ;)
Attached Thumbnails attachment-22502.gif  
Old 04-29-2010, 04:26 AM

What is going on? This is the second post I read this morning about rude quilters!! I really didn't realize there was such a thing! Even my hubby mentioned always meeting happy friendly quilters, and now this?? Is it another "sign of the time we live in now?"