Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Feeling like I've wasted so much time on this. >

Feeling like I've wasted so much time on this.

Feeling like I've wasted so much time on this.

Old 02-03-2014, 01:13 PM
Power Poster

I think we have all done that at one time or another, but I would be tempted to just keep quilting the quilt at this point. The majority of the quilts I make are quilts to be used and loved, so a few puckers here and there I try not to obsess over, even though I tend to be a bit (LOL) of a perfectionist and more critical of my work than others. I also think that I learn something from every quilt I make so that I can become a better quilter. Although I don't have a specific recommendation, please do not get too discouraged and please keep quilting.
Old 02-03-2014, 01:40 PM

There are always those quilts that will get cantankerous, or not look like what you want once finished, or have lots of technical problems. This isn't just the haven of the beginner. I can do a number of projects well, and then run into a "problem project", and I'm ready to either pull my hair out or quit. I've learned that the best thing to do is to get rid of the "problem project" which I can sometimes do by giving it as a charity quilt, or even giving it to the Salvation Army. I just can't look at it, period. Then I start a new project right away so my skills don't falter and I've got something positive in the works. Works for me.

By the way, I think it was the pre-cuts you used. I won't use them at all because they are usually cut so wonky, and they always give me problems. When I cut it myself, I'm meticulous about pre-washing, starching, cutting on the correct grain, etc. etc. and I have a Quilt Cut 2 that really helps with precision cutting as well as ease of cutting. I'd much rather cut than rip out FMQ stitches.

Good luck to you!
Old 02-03-2014, 04:26 PM

Oh, I feel your pain! I am currently in the process of "unquilting" a throw for my MIL, which was a Christmas present that didn't get finished in time so I have kept it to get it donel Since I don't have that deadline, I decided to take out the quilting from the last block that I did get done because it was so puckered and the stitching looked awful. Well, in the process, I decided I needed to remove the STID around the inner border so I could smooth out the block. On thing lead to another, and now I am taking all the quilting out and am going to start that over.

The blocks themselves look good, if I do say so myself. The two borders are fine, even matched the stripes at the mitered corners. However, the quilting - well, not so much! My DH did build a shelf above my cutting table and put the (new) TV up there (it formerly sat n the corner of the table) and installed a pegboard over the table so now there's nothing at all on the cutting table and I can move it away from the wall so I can lay the quilt on it and let it drape over the sides and not have to bunch it up. Once I get all the stitching out (I had done about half of it), I think it's going to be so much easier.

I plan to use binder clips to hold the backing, the batting smooth and flat. Then I'll pin the center block, stitch it, move to another middle block, stitch it, etc., returning to the cutting table to smooth and pin a little at a time. This is the biggest quilt I have done so I'm learning you can't do a quick pinning and expect it to all stay nice and smooth and flat!

I wish you luck and hope you feel more encouraged to finish it soon.