Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Felting Wool >

Felting Wool

Felting Wool

Old 09-22-2012, 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by ragquilter View Post
I have a couple of questions. What do you use felted wool for? What exactly does felting do to the wool?
I use felted wool for applique` projects. I especially like to make Christmas ornaments with it, or table runners or table mats. Some people make entire quilts out of it, but they can be very heavy, and it's expensive to buy all the wool. Some people over-dye wool and get wonderful colors. The felting process tightens up the fibers of the wool, making it thicker and denser. The felt can be cut without having to finish the edges since it doesn't fray. I think it's lots of fun to work with, and there are tons of patterns to make with it.
Old 09-23-2012, 03:07 AM

Hi JustJeanne, I want to make a quilt with the wool, not a very big one. I bought felted wool at a quilt show. I paid $12.00 for a half a yard. I splurged. I would never pay that amount for fabric. It was very soft wool. So I found out on various websites that wool needs to be felted. The felted wool is very soft. I got 2 plaids that go together and the jacket I bought will go with what I bought. I want to buy wool clothing a little bit at a time to do the quilt. I know have to find out what kind of batting you use and what kind of backing. On with the search. I also thought I would make a wall hanging with it but found you can applique it on cotton. Then you use a blanket stitch. Then a backing and I would use muslin. As you can see I don't rush into things. I am working on my first rag quilt. It has taken me months. jackiemc
Old 09-23-2012, 03:12 AM
Power Poster

i've been preping over-dyeing & felting recycled wool for years- i'm one of those who always de-constructs first- i remove all linings, buttons, zippers, snaps, cut away all seams (they are easier to remove before the felting process & then your felted item is more evenly felted- when the item is left intact it does not felt evenly-
with suit jackets, skirts, dresses ect you seldom have any really small pieces-they are all quite large.
i put everything (like colors unless i'm overdyeing) into a hot washer (i add water from my steaming teakettle) with a small amount of detergent and the regular aggitation cycle- i generally keep resetting the cycle & adding hot water for 3-4 full wash cycles (not letting the water drain-keep resetting until i'm happy with the felting) every 10 minutes or so i lift up a piece & check it to see how it's doing-some wools felt faster than others- when it has felted to my liking i let it drain- rinse in COLD water- then toss into a hot dryer. when the wools come out that are *meaty* - done shrinking- no edges will ravel- you can cut them up for any project / use - the finished project is washable- the wool is done shrinking- wool is wonderful to work with- in fact i'm doing some wool dyeing today
Old 09-23-2012, 03:31 AM

I was buying a lot of used clothing for wool rugs and just threw them in the washer with regular detergent. Then I could take my time cutting them up and they were clean when I did it. I did not want bags of questionable used clothing sitting around. I was amazed just how little they changed after washing the whole suit or such. I can get more felting later if I need it but they are amazing to use as is.

I now only buy pieces that have fantastic color. Once found a hot pink wool skirt at a resale shop.