Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
A few questions for Acuquilt GO users >

A few questions for Acuquilt GO users

A few questions for Acuquilt GO users

Old 07-08-2023, 12:23 PM

Default A few questions for Acuquilt GO users

I'm thinking it's time to switch from rotary cutting to machine (electric) cutting, because every time I cut even a little bit, I end up with a multi-day back crisis.

Say I'm making 1-1/2 by 3" finished flying geese and 3" finished HSTs. Are the dies labeled for finished size units? Are there directions that explain these things? I've watched videos, but these issues aren't addressed.

Acu-Quilters are always asking Bonnie Hunter during her mysteries what die size to use, and she doesn't give the answer because she says 'it gives too much away.' Can anyone explain this?

Thanks!
Old 07-08-2023, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by joe'smom View Post
I'm thinking it's time to switch from rotary cutting to machine (electric) cutting, because every time I cut even a little bit, I end up with a multi-day back crisis.

Say I'm making 1-1/2 by 3" finished flying geese and 3" finished HSTs. Are the dies labeled for finished size units? Are there directions that explain these things? I've watched videos, but these issues aren't addressed.

Acu-Quilters are always asking Bonnie Hunter during her mysteries what die size to use, and she doesn't give the answer because she says 'it gives too much away.' Can anyone explain this?

Thanks!

Yes, Accuquilt does list the unfinished and finished sizes. As far as BH goes, I think because at the end if the day, she might consider listing the dies if she were to be compensated properly, but are they gonna pay her a commission? Seems like free adevertisement for them and more work for her. I have no clue as to why she doesn’t list them, that is just my thought.
I don’t use my Acuquilt much, but when I do, it is very nice, you will love it! It really does make cutting easy and quick.
Old 07-08-2023, 02:32 PM

Thank you, tallchick!

I found a !00% feedback seller on eBay selling the model I'm looking at for a substantial savings. She said she has moved on from quilting (!) to other crafts. The machine would not come with directions. From your recollection, did your Accuquilt come with comprehensive directions that I wouldn't want to be without?
Old 07-08-2023, 02:56 PM

Update: I found one on sale from a vendor in Arizona, so that will come with the directions!

Old 07-08-2023, 06:03 PM
Power Poster

I love my Accuquilt. I bought it when it first became available to buy and have lots of dies. Everything you need to know how to use it is on Accuquilt youtube channel. Bonnie Hunter has a ruler she designed to make all the cut sizes of her mysteries. I've noticed since her ruler has been available she uses it in every mystery. I know she has a studio model and does most of her cutting using that. She always uses the basic size of units and there are dies for those sizes. I have found that having an exact 1/4" seam the cuts made with the Accuquilt do not need squaring up after sewing the blocks. If they do then my 1/4" is not exact.
Old 07-09-2023, 03:56 AM

Don't you waste fabric using these cutting machines? That's what I thought when I was looking into them. I have enough scraps, don't need to make more. Don't you have to cut the fabric to fit the die before hand so you're cutting anyway?

Last edited by Snooze2978; 07-09-2023 at 03:56 AM. Reason: adding info
Old 07-09-2023, 04:17 AM

Love the system.

Yes, there are instructions and user videos for the FG. You will probably want the individual dies for each shape as there isn't one die in that size. Scroll down to "details" to see the 2 dies needed.

https://www.accuquilt.com/go-flying-...ie-bundle.html

You can also use #4 and #5 from the 6 inch set. I like the individual dies as there is usually multiple shapes to cut so more units in one pass of the die.

Under the "vote now" tab on description there is a down-load for a reference chart that is helpful.

There is lots of information on the AQ site under the tab "Learn" .

Old 07-09-2023, 05:42 AM

good for you Joe'smom!!! If we can't adapt to life in order to follow our bliss, what is the point of life?

Accuquilt is having apparently a huge sale today, read it on Pat Solan's FB group
https://www.accuquilt.com/special-offers.html
If you are going to invest in dies, this would be the time to do it!

Last edited by KalamaQuilts; 07-09-2023 at 05:52 AM.
Old 07-09-2023, 07:34 AM
Power Poster

I hear about wastes so much by people that watched a demo or doesn't have one. The demo is for showing how it works the fastest way possible which means covering the die. At home you take a little time to cut the fabric pieces to fit the shape not the die. I have about 1/4" waste around the cut if I measure the size of the shape. Usually I eyeball the size of the fabric I need. For cutting scraps I put the fabric anyway it will fit to cover the shape. I have all the basic sizes of squares, rectangles, hist, quarter hsts, strips, diamonds, and circles. I like the BOB dies to get block cut at one time. I have the Go Me (Baby) and it's harder to use then the big one because it takes a good push to get it going sometimes but my grands use it so it isn't that bad. The dies are almost double or triple the price from when I bought mine from years ago and honestly not the same quality. I can tell a difference from the new dies from the older ones for the Go machines. I had to reglue the foam to a lot of the new dies. The older ones are still intact and the foam seems better.

Last edited by Onebyone; 07-09-2023 at 07:41 AM.
Old 07-09-2023, 08:36 AM
Power Poster

I don't find a lot of waste using my cutter. Not enough to worry about.
My only problem is that many times I make patterns that don't use any of my dies. And I also don't have a dedicated space for mine so it's a bit inconvenient right now. I need to fix that because it's a wonderful invention.
I have the Go and the Mini and I use the min i a lot. It's small and easy to set up. As I said I need to find a dedicated space for my big one.