Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4

Thread: Fidget blanket

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rahaube
    Thank you for this link. I just visited it and think this is a wonderful idea. Frequently volunteering at the local nursing home, I can see there are many there who could use one of these. I think I see several in my not too distant future. I may even make it a group project for my quilt group.
    Glad to hear that. It is so sad that there are so many people with this problem. It makes us all realize that we may have to look forward to that as we age. Let us hope that God will bless us and we shall skip that part of our life. Hope you enjoy making the fidget blankets. Cathie

Quote Originally Posted by 29cathie
    Glad to hear that. It is so sad that there are so many people with this problem. It makes us all realize that we may have to look forward to that as we age. Let us hope that God will bless us and we shall skip that part of our life. Hope you enjoy making the fidget blankets. Cathie
    I agree with you 29Cathie ... it's not a pleasant thought. In the meantime, we can help to make the lives of those who are inflicted just a little better. And too, remember their families and loved ones, as all too often, they do more suffering. It's a tough time ... I know, as my Mother had alzheimers.

On the upside, for now ... we all need to sew and enjoy every minute of it ..... and maybe we should be making our personal Fidget Blanket, to be prepared for when we need it and cannot do it!!!! :lol:

I just saw this and it is so cool! Thank you for posting it! I worked with Special Needs children in our local schools for many years and see so many great possibilities for this in the classroom and at home! I think especially of kids in wheelchairs who cannot see nor talk. How cool this would be for them to explore with their hands all day long! I think of one little kiddo with autism who loves to touch everything! I'm retired now, but I plan to make these to give to the classrooms soon! Many thanks again for directing us to this wonderful idea!

Blog Entries
    This is a great post...I never heard of Fidget quilts for adults. This would be a great charity lap quilt for the local nursing home.

Super Member just_the_scraps_m'am's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    fidget blankets are a really great idea...they could serve so many diseases....wish I could have seen it sooner, tho...
    "variety is the spice of life"

I make this type of blanket all the time and donate them to people in hospice who have Alzheimer. If you will provide me your email address I can send you a few pictures of some of the blankets I have made. Besides donating them, it would be nice if I could sell a few at a reasonable cost to cover my cost of material, thread, etc...any ideas or suggestions?

Thank You!!

I just found this thread. I have not been online in a very long time. But I made a fidget quilt because a really good blogger shared her quilts and I knew I wanted to make one for a friend. I still do not have it finished but the site where all of the patterns or ideas are is this:
    http://www.with-heart-and-hands.com/...lzheimers.html
    Michele has one of my favorite blogs so I share her free ideas because of her generoisty to me. she make Fidget quilts for Alzheimers, Dementia and for people with autism. I think this is a lovely idea so I am happy to see more people making them. My niece is helping me post this. I am lucky I can still sew without help LOL

My niece is helping me share the wonderful site of my internet friend, Michele. She shares so much and I am trying to make a fidget quilt for my close friend with Alzheimers Disease right now. http://www.with-heart-and-hands.com/...lzheimers.html

think of a quilt with accessories. Try adding zippers, a square of Minky fabric, large large buttons with a buttonhole, texturized items. You almost have to think of what a baby would like. Snaps, Velcro with a tab, things like that. We have severe Autistic kids who use the same type of things.....
    Theressa
    Cowgirlquilter

Blog Entries
    Here are some pics of “twiddle“ or “fidget“ blankets!
    https://de.pinterest.com/aggi2011/tw...-nesteldecken/

Blog Entries
    I made this for an Alzheimer sufferer. It is cathedral window following Jenny Doak quick heavy . It has pictures of his favourite things he could recognise and was heavy so it stayed on him.
    I've lost the finish quilt pictures this is quilt before rolling back window as I quilted them.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Finished is better than a UFO

Blog Entries

fidgit blankets

A fidget blanket only be large enough to cover the lap. I made one for my late aunt that was in a dementia ward. I made it about 18" square, I put a zipper on it, a pocket, a flap with a button hole and sewed a button on so she could button and unbutton it. Got some ponytail scrunchies and sewed them on. It does not have to be fancy, it is only something for them to fidget with. She adored it. Wished I had of done it sooner. Try going to pinterest, maybe they have some pictures of them there.

I remember my grandmother who was a sewer, asking for a pair of scissors. Her sitter at the time gave her a small pair just to see what she would do. She very neatly snipped 2 or 3 buttons off her housecoat. Then she asked for needle and thread and sewed them back on. A sewer to the very end.

Blog Entries
    Nancy Zeiman had a show on these, but I can only find her activity mats now. However, at the seams there were round tabs, prairie tabs, little pockets, etc. Honestly, I am cringing at the idea of a zipper after seeing someone zip a finger into one. It wasn't pretty. And depending on the depth of dementia, I'd be cautious about the ones with beads on string. Like children, these can pose a choking hazard if some poor soul decides to eat them.
    Krystyna
    Feel the fear and do it anyway!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4