Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Fiesta de Talavera Quilt really for an advanced stitcher?

Fiesta de Talavera by J. Michelle Watts is a gorgeous appliqué quilt! http://jmichellewatts.com/images/Sam...e_Talavera.jpg
    But I have to ask, is this pattern really for a person who does advanced appliqué? If so, what makes it for a more advanced stitcher? I would like to try it, but I am not sure I would say that I am intermediate/advanced appliqué person. I have worked on only a couple of template appliqué projects in the past without too much difficulty so I was just wondering if this was something that I might be able to attempt. Attempt is actually the wrong word because I can always attempt it but might not actually finish it! :lol: :lol: Accomplish and complete it might be a better phrase. Anyway, I would like to know your opinion of the experience level needed for this quilt and any input you might have on it.

KR
    Ohhhhh, what a gorgeous quilt!! I'd say GO FOR IT!!!
    Karen

PS: I'm currently working on a Baltimore album-ish quilt and the biggest challenge I've found is maintaining the symmetry with mirror images. This one would be no different but if your placement layout is accurate you should have no problem.

Blog Entries
    it's a very pretty quilt. if you have mastered the basics of quilting, i would say that any project can be tackled. you just have to read and understand the instructions and check everything two or three times before doing it. good luck

It's a beautiful quilt, and I think you should try it. Your applique skills will improve as you do it. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Janet

Go for it.

I'm a newbe quilter, but when I try something I'm not familiar with, I make sure to have enough material to make a few extra blocks. I just consider the first few blocks training while I perfect the technique.

That being said, I haven't advanced to anything like this. It is beautiful. I say try it and good luck.

Beautiful

Blog Entries
    There are many of us that have made beautiful quilts that we just didn't know they were not for beginners or confident beginners. We just did them and enjoyed the learning process. Have fun....go for it!! AND keep us posted on your progress:)

Thanks everyone for the encouragement. I have several ladies at my local quilt shop and in my guilds who applique so I know that if I had some issues that they would be able to help but I didn't want to fork over so much for the kit if it was going to become a UFO!

Wow, that is one lovely quilt! I would say you could definitely do it, all it takes, as for any project, is determination and perseverance.

Good luck.

I just saw this online today, but its way over my experience level. maybe someday.

It's beautiful ---- what makes it for "advanced"...I'd say the sheer number of appliques. A beginner takes longer to get a block done than an advanced. Therefore, they beginner would get discouraged with this. However, if you are tenacious and KNOW you will finish it -- GO FOR IT!!!! It's gorgeous!

I have a love hate relationship with applique....love the look of it, hate doing it. But this is a beauty. I might try this one myself.

It's a gorgeous quilt and regardless of the fact that they recommend to be an "advanced" stitcher, I say go for it. If you're not "advanced" enough, you surely will be by the time you finish it. LOL

I have a suggestion for the fabric. Sew batiks has graduated hand dyes or Moda has graduated batiks. I think that would work better so your flowers dont all look the same.

I remember my first Baltimore Block. Beautiful to look at, intimidating to attempt--81 pieces for an 18x18 block!! I decided to try the pattern on some fabric from my stash first. Found out that with time and care, it was something I could accomplish, plus I made a runner out of the practice blocks! So, if this is something you have fallen in love with, don't under-estimate your own abilities. Go for it!

I love that quilt - I saw it in person at the show here in Dallas last year.

I bought a similar pattern called "Fiesta" from Fat Cat Patterns: http://www.fatcatpatterns.com/Fiesta.html (it came to me in EQ format, which is a big factor in choosing it over Talavera)

I plan to use the starch method to prepare the appliqued pieces. I think starch and washaway glue reduce the difficulty level on any applique pattern. The pieces I've been working on in Christmas Wreaths are pretty small, but it's coming out well considering that I just started applique a few months ago.

Starching the pieces into submission :) and then heating the glue basting to dry it holds all the perfectly shaped pieces firmly in place.

You can then concentrate on making tiny even stitches instead of trying to sew perfectly and turning exactly 3/16" at a time and getting points and inside angles turned and keeping the design symmetrical and untangling your thread from the applique pins or pieces every time you take a stitch. :)

Super Member just_the_scraps_m'am's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    if a beginner would choose this as their first project, i could see where there would easily be a difference of opinion as to whom the pattern is suited...
    the creators of this pattern are {CYA} covering their -----

you GO, girl!

I agree with poly parrot above. Try Fatcat's Fiesta first. That will give you an idea.

Quote Originally Posted by FWDesigns
    Fiesta de Talavera by J. Michelle Watts is a gorgeous appliqué quilt! http://jmichellewatts.com/images/Sam...e_Talavera.jpg
    But I have to ask, is this pattern really for a person who does advanced appliqué? If so, what makes it for a more advanced stitcher? I would like to try it, but I am not sure I would say that I am intermediate/advanced appliqué person. I have worked on only a couple of template appliqué projects in the past without too much difficulty so I was just wondering if this was something that I might be able to attempt. Attempt is actually the wrong word because I can always attempt it but might not actually finish it! :lol: :lol: Accomplish and complete it might be a better phrase. Anyway, I would like to know your opinion of the experience level needed for this quilt and any input you might have on it.
    There's only one way to find out! Jump in head first and just do it!

It's going to be beautiful!

That is an extraordinary quilt...if I liked doing applique I would do it and I am no where near intermediate.
    Just take your time and know this quilt will take real time to complete!! cheering for you!

Quote Originally Posted by thepolyparrot
    I bought a similar pattern called "Fiesta" from Fat Cat Patterns: http://www.fatcatpatterns.com/Fiesta.html (it came to me in EQ format, which is a big factor in choosing it over Talavera)
    Sindy Rodenmayer does do fabulous work doesn't she? I was able to start saving the fiesta blocks with #3 (missed #1 & 2). I've just gotten EQ7 so haven't had much practice with it (meaning only cracked the book open and loaded program onto machine) but I will be taking some lessons starting in September on it via online. So is having the files easier or what with the EQ7 files than the PDF files she has available? Aha, I see that she now has both formats available for sale. But please tell me why would I use the EQ files? Is it just to see fabrics or with the printing of the blocks out or what? You have me curious as to what I've been missing without having this program before now!

Blog Entries
    Try one block. If it turns out that you can do it well, then keep going. If it turns out that it is a little too challenging yet, then make it into a pillow. You have nothing to lose and lots of experience to gain.

Quote Originally Posted by FWDesigns
    Quote Originally Posted by thepolyparrot
    Sindy Rodenmayer does do fabulous work doesn't she? I was able to start saving the fiesta blocks with #3 (missed #1 & 2). I've just gotten EQ7 so haven't had much practice with it (meaning only cracked the book open and loaded program onto machine) but I will be taking some lessons starting in September on it via online. So is having the files easier or what with the EQ7 files than the PDF files she has available? Aha, I see that she now has both formats available for sale. But please tell me why would I use the EQ files? Is it just to see fabrics or with the printing of the blocks out or what? You have me curious as to what I've been missing without having this program before now!
    You can re-size the blocks (bigger or smaller), play with alternate settings, see them with different fabrics, intersperse different blocks and see how they play with the originals, change the blocks... so many options when you have EQ.

I think Fiesta looks harder to me.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast