Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Finally! FMQ Without the Lashing >

Finally! FMQ Without the Lashing

Finally! FMQ Without the Lashing

Old 10-25-2021, 06:12 PM

A suggestion to keep your costs down. Go to a thrift store and purchase some used cotton sheets, and cut them up. I usually just ripped them about about `15" or so by the length of the sheet. Then sandwiched a piece of batting inside, and practiced away.
I used plain sheets without any pattern so I would be able to see my design better and examine the flaws. When I got a little better, after I finished, I would sometimes pick out an area I thought looked good, and cut out a square to make a pot holder with, so some of the sheet got used. Just an idea to pass on.
Old 10-26-2021, 08:05 AM

This is my first real attempt at FMQ. I had dabbled now and then, but always was frustrated. Now I think I am getting the hang of it, even if I tend to occasionally jerk while changing direction

I drew lines on this fabric, though the lines were only to keep me going in the general direction. I rarely hit the line when doing the meander part.

The drawn kind of flower pattern was much easier for me to do. Not sure if that is strange or not. It could be that the pattern was basically straight or fairly straight curves

I prefer the patterns like the flower over the stipple.

I'm going to fill this piece of fabric with various patterns, and then move on to another, possibly more complex design, but with straighter curves.

I also found out why you draw up the bottom thread at the start. It keeps the thread from bunching underneath, which seems to be typical of all my machines
Attached Thumbnails 1st-fm.jpg  
Old 10-26-2021, 10:12 AM

Glad it is clicking for you! With continued practice, I've no doubt, you will keep learning and improving.

I had the same thing going on not to long ago when I wanted to expand my FMQing capabilities. In particular I wanted to do a decent looking feather. I just couldn't get the hang of it. I had always heard that doodling designs is good practice for muscle memory. I had very ugly feathers. For pages. I kept at it. Resisted the urge to tear out each page where I messed up right after starting my doodle. Just restarted somewhere else on the same page. Finally something clicked about the motion! It's not perfect, but all of the doodling really did help and I'm becoming more consistent. So now I am moving on to other designs.

I have found Angela Water's videos so helpful. I love that she doesn't focus on perfection. So many little bobbles and such disappear into the big picture once the quilt is done and washed.
Old 10-26-2021, 12:13 PM

Dawn, One thing I could never do was doodle, or any kind of drawing or artwork on paper. So drawing something over and over again for myself, isn't going to help me. I can't even draw a decent stick figure. Seems my sister had all the artistic talent in the family.

But I'm fairly good at getting something, and then tracing it on something else. And that is what I am doing with my FMQ. Wonder if it is FMQ if you try following something you transferred onto the fabric?

My biggest problem for such a long time was I kept getting the lashing on the reverse of the quilt sandwich. I finally solved that problem. For now,I will practise how quilting is done. Hopefully my feel for the movements will improve.

I've finished drawing out six more patterns on that same practise sandwich, and hope it will get a bit easier moving the fabric around.
Old 10-26-2021, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by CaleyH View Post
Dawn, One thing I could never do was doodle, or any kind of drawing or artwork on paper. So drawing something over and over again for myself, isn't going to help me. I can't even draw a decent stick figure. Seems my sister had all the artistic talent in the family.

But I'm fairly good at getting something, and then tracing it on something else. And that is what I am doing with my FMQ. Wonder if it is FMQ if you try following something you transferred onto the fabric?

My biggest problem for such a long time was I kept getting the lashing on the reverse of the quilt sandwich. I finally solved that problem. For now,I will practise how quilting is done. Hopefully my feel for the movements will improve.

I've finished drawing out six more patterns on that same practise sandwich, and hope it will get a bit easier moving the fabric around.
I'm definitely no artist! (my people are stick figures as well). I couldn't draw my way out of a paper bag if my life depended on it! I was surprised that doodling helped me. Some of my doodling is actually over already drawn designs, to help me see how the design is formed. I was worried that I wouldn't be able to transfer over to the fabric what finally sunk in on paper. I tried this past week - and was so happy to see that it did transfer over!

There are many ways to FMQ. Many people mark their designs out on a quilt before then quilting it. So yes - definitely free motion quilting!! Also, what works for one person might not work for another. I say find what works for you (which you have) and run with it!! I think you will find it does keep getting easier. Especially since you have found your groove.
Old 10-26-2021, 02:40 PM

I have been using a lot of fabric to practice my FMQ and then I came across this video on You Tube. It really appeals to me and I need to get some clear vinyl so I can try it out. Free Motion Quilting Hack ~ Beginner Quilter Hack - YouTube
Old 10-26-2021, 02:59 PM

I finally finished the other six patterns. Only one was a continuous type. So, for the others, I had to retrace my steps to finish out the rest. You can definitely see my retraced steps. ;-)

I'm really happy with the results. Much better than any previous attempts. Maybe someday I will graduate to using an actual quilt.
Attached Thumbnails more-fmq-practise.jpg  
Old 10-26-2021, 03:11 PM

Looking good! You are making real progress. Don’t wait too long to quilt an actual quilt, because that will also feel weird and harder. But just like you worked through it on a practice sandwich, you can do it on a quilt.

And don’t diminish the value of doodling. Just like when we first learned to write, each of us — even those who were “artistic”— had to keep repeating the same movements until eventually it just clicked and we understood how to write our own name and every other word as well.
Old 10-26-2021, 03:14 PM

Fabric Galore, Really neat idea for FMQ practise. It's a great way to learn muscle memory.

But it lacks the problem of the needle continuously poking the fabric. That causes a tiny catch you have to learn to get used to, or at least that is what I am trying to learn.

My fabric sandwich has never moved that smoothly. I wish it would, as I probably could then follow the graphics lines I have put on the quilt top with a heat erasable pen without any problems.

The only way I have found that I can follow a sharp curve is to just stitch a few stitches, then stop, adjust the fabric, then do a few more, and so on, and ....

I probably won't throw this sandwich away. Some of what I have done is probably good enough to make something.
Old 10-26-2021, 05:02 PM

I think definitely you could move to a quilt.