Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Finally found a Dry Iron!!!! >

Finally found a Dry Iron!!!!

Finally found a Dry Iron!!!!

Old 11-30-2012, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by Passionate Quilter View Post
I have been looking for a dry iron for quilting as I was tired of trying to iron fabric smooth from the holes in a steam iron. Saw on this board that people had found them and ordered from Vermont Country Store. I had searched their catalogs and website for one and never found one. Recently found it listed again and quickly ordered one, arrived yesterday and I am so pleased with it. Thought I would let you all know in case it had been on your listed of "wants", would make a great Christmas gift. If you are interested it is called Classic Dry Iron and stock number is 42277. Love this board, lovely people willing to help each other, and tons of great ideas and inspirations. Thank you all.
Okay, what is the purpose of buying a separate "dry" iron when all you have to do is NOT add water to your steam iron? you all must know something I don't.
Old 11-30-2012, 03:07 PM

I had to send 2 of them back to the Country Store. One overheated and I think the 2nd one did the same. Finally just asked for my money back. Im glad I had saved my receipts.
Old 11-30-2012, 03:54 PM

I LOVE MY old vintage irons!!!! They stay hot, don't shut down, have no holes in them and run about 2 1/4 and 2 1/2 pounds so they do the "heavyweight" work so I have LOT less pain in shoulders, arm and back. I got mine thru e-bay and ever so much happy for it.

Tricia
Old 11-30-2012, 04:11 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie View Post
Okay, what is the purpose of buying a separate "dry" iron when all you have to do is NOT add water to your steam iron? you all must know something I don't.
I guess we do! LOL. Really the holes in the steam iron is what we don't like. Those holes do not heat the fabric evenly which makes a big difference when using fusible or applique pieces.
Old 11-30-2012, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
I guess we do! LOL. Really the holes in the steam iron is what we don't like. Those holes do not heat the fabric evenly which makes a big difference when using fusible or applique pieces.
Also, some hole designs grab the fabric and end up distorting the portion of the block. I use a travel iron with a smooth plate when pressing small pieces -- works so much better than my fancy pants steam iron.
Old 11-30-2012, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
All you have to do is to move the iron so that solid metal hits where the holes were a couple seconds ago. I 'm still missing something!
Old 12-01-2012, 04:44 AM

I raved about the dry iron after my mom bought me one. Then it stopped working and Vermont Country Store couldn't get them. They found them again and I promptly ordered another one and also wrote a review for them. Best iron I have ever used and reasonably priced.
Old 12-01-2012, 05:49 AM

Ok ladies, you really should be looking at an Oliso Pro Iron! and don't put water in it if you don't like steam! The bottom is flat, flat, flat! I do recommend that you catch one at a quilt show! Cheaper that way! They are hotter, have a 12ft cord and a two year warranty! I love mine, own two of them, one for steam, one dry! Worth every penny!
Old 12-01-2012, 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by cpower View Post
Ok ladies, you really should be looking at an Oliso Pro Iron! and don't put water in it if you don't like steam!
Well, yeah, Chrystina, but not everyone wants to spend $150 or $200 on an iron, dry or steam. I just don't buy into that Madison Avenue hype. My GE Classic -- without water -- works just fine for me. JMHO
Old 12-01-2012, 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie View Post
All you have to do is to move the iron so that solid metal hits where the holes were a couple seconds ago. I 'm still missing something!
The spots where the holes were would still get a different amount of heat. Some people are purists, and I can see their point. I am not a purist, but I have had issues with those holes showing up when I really wanted to get some heat on a spot and pressed for a while. And I have always been wondering why my iron never got really hot. I always said, "Hasn't scorched yet." - Like the Bon-Ami chick.