Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
FINALLY!! A thrft shop score for me!!! >

FINALLY!! A thrft shop score for me!!!

FINALLY!! A thrft shop score for me!!!

Old 12-02-2011, 10:33 PM

Yea for awesome finds! Just a little somethin' to let you know you're not alone: Last year we had to tell our kids the same thing about Christmas. I was SICK!!! What I did was buy a big box of 10 Christmas puzzles at Wal-Mart ($14.95 for all 10 puzzles in one box) and a couple of games and we just put together puzzles and played games all season! We also tried to go to some free Christmas concerts and things in our community. I think our family got closer this way - spending time together - than any gifts we could have bought! This is one Christmas we'll never forget!!! Unfortunately, we have to do the same thing this year, but instead of dreading it I'm actually looking forward to it! I've already bought our new box of 10 puzzles from Wal-Mart (castles this time)! Good luck with everything! Remember the reason for the season!
Old 12-03-2011, 03:57 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by raptureready View Post
Being the daughter of some pretty frugal parents, one year mom and dad had envelopes on the tree with our names on them. When we opened them, they were filled with about $1500 of play money. We then had an auction and were able to bid on the things they had to offer----coupons for a "dinner at the farm" we could choose what mom fixed, an afternoon of dad helping clean our garage or basement, a coupon for an oil change from dad, one for a tire rotation, there were also jars of homemade jam, loaves of homemade bread, bags of mom's noodles, pies, etc. It was one of the best and most memorable Christmas' ever. We had such fun bidding against each other. Mom and dad loved seeing their gifts bring in outrageous amounts like $500-$700 for the last jar of jam, $800 for an oil change and so on.

Christmas doesn't have to cost a lot to be enjoyable.
I LOVE THIS IDEA!!!!! You made my day!
Old 12-03-2011, 04:01 AM

Awesome find...we too are trying to cut back on Christmas cost of gifts (more to teach my kids not to over spend and get stressed over money). I told my grown kids not to buy us anything!!! Make us a gift...for my daughter inlaws I went thift shopping and found some wonderful tea cups made in England for 3.00 - I will fill them with tea. - I am trying to teach my kids that there is no need to spend a fortune on gifts...its the family time that counts and...there are many wonderful things that can be found in Thrift shops...and its so much fun to find the perfect gift under 5.00 - there are many brand new items or slightly used items in the shops.
Old 12-03-2011, 04:04 AM

I love surprises. I was at our local crafty type store on Thursday and the lady said "Anything in the bins you can put in a paper bag you can have for $5.00. I got 1/2 bag - $2.50 and got fabric that will last me forever. It was about 3/4 full and she said $2.50. I got it! Really neat stuff - lots of fat quarters, lots of folded that should be 2-3 yards each. Good for backing. Some is not in my choice of fabrics, but they will make for fun fussy cutting. That was my Christmas present for the year. Great day! Edie
Old 12-03-2011, 04:05 AM

Wonderful idea...the one good thing about so many us cutting back and being more careful about spending it has made many families closer by doing things with each other.
Originally Posted by CoolJulUtah View Post
Yea for awesome finds! Just a little somethin' to let you know you're not alone: Last year we had to tell our kids the same thing about Christmas. I was SICK!!! What I did was buy a big box of 10 Christmas puzzles at Wal-Mart ($14.95 for all 10 puzzles in one box) and a couple of games and we just put together puzzles and played games all season! We also tried to go to some free Christmas concerts and things in our community. I think our family got closer this way - spending time together - than any gifts we could have bought! This is one Christmas we'll never forget!!! Unfortunately, we have to do the same thing this year, but instead of dreading it I'm actually looking forward to it! I've already bought our new box of 10 puzzles from Wal-Mart (castles this time)! Good luck with everything! Remember the reason for the season!
Old 12-03-2011, 04:06 AM

wonderful reminder...I am going to make a few rice bags today! Love this thread...so many neat ideas!
Old 12-03-2011, 04:16 AM

Great find. Enjoy. Merry Christmas!
Old 12-03-2011, 04:26 AM

Originally Posted by BETTY62 View Post
What a great find. I'm glad it lifted your spirits. Please remember that your kids and grandkids love you for who you are and not what you can give to them. I don't know how large your family is but maybe you and your hubby could bake a dozen or so cookies and send to each family as this years gift. I'm sure they would love them. There is no better gift than the gift of love but home made cookies are really close. Here's wishing things get better for your family very soon.
Even Better trace your hand on the cookie dough and cut around and "Bake and frost with "Touched with Love" stack them with wax paper between and wrap firmly in plastic wrap place in a well padded box plastic store bags make good packing and make sure they don't move... Won't the Grandkids be surprised to see Grandma and Grandpa's hands. or your could make one solid cookie.
My Grandma used to give us Grandkids each a $2 dollar bill. and the Adults $5.oo... I still have the outer envelope with my grandma's handwriting... write out a special note to each child, grandchild... its the thought from your Heart that counts..
Old 12-03-2011, 04:38 AM
Power Poster

A friend of mine just wrote wonderful prayers for each of her children one Christmas. They read them out loud and cried. She said her prayers were all answered.
Old 12-03-2011, 05:03 AM

Originally Posted by raptureready View Post
Being the daughter of some pretty frugal parents, one year mom and dad had envelopes on the tree with our names on them. When we opened them, they were filled with about $1500 of play money. We then had an auction and were able to bid on the things they had to offer----coupons for a "dinner at the farm" we could choose what mom fixed, an afternoon of dad helping clean our garage or basement, a coupon for an oil change from dad, one for a tire rotation, there were also jars of homemade jam, loaves of homemade bread, bags of mom's noodles, pies, etc. It was one of the best and most memorable Christmas' ever. We had such fun bidding against each other. Mom and dad loved seeing their gifts bring in outrageous amounts like $500-$700 for the last jar of jam, $800 for an oil change and so on.

Christmas doesn't have to cost a lot to be enjoyable.
That is the coolest thing I have ever heard!!!!! What a wonderful, wonderful memory!