Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Finding some issues with digital printed fabric >

Finding some issues with digital printed fabric

Finding some issues with digital printed fabric

Old 11-21-2023, 05:19 AM

Default Finding some issues with digital printed fabric

Has anyone been finding some issues with digital printed fabric. Most thus far, I have had good results with what I have ordered. But recently on a couple of different fabrics that are digitally printed fabrics, the ones that seem to have a little bit of a sheen to them even though they are stated as being 100% quilting cotton, is that it is snagging really bad. And it seems that the threads that are snagging are just the colored ones (white background with pink daisies on it) Just the pink daisies threads are snagging. The other fabric (white background with small green leaves) just the green on the leaves are snagging. I do know that these are from two different brand lines (not the same makers) as when I purchased them, I note things like that.

I'll be working with it, making blocks or even using it to make an every day wear shirt and all the sudden I look down and it looks like the cat has taken it's claws to it. Snags all over the place, even to the point that holes have formed. I'm not talking about the edges fraying, I'm talking about snags of threads in the middle of the fabric piece. I don't even know what it apparently snagged on. I'm working in my usual sewing space. I've come upon this with two different fabric lines, both that seemed to have a sheen plastic like feel to the fabric. Unfortunately, I don't know the maker or fabric line, other than they are both different brands, and the fabric has been recently purchased within the last 6 to 9 months, so it isn't like it is old fabric with old threads. I'm just hoping that this isn't going to be something that is on going. I'm hoping that these two are maybe an earlier digital printing process. I ended up just tossing both of the yardages I had, it was that bad.

Last edited by quiltsfor; 11-21-2023 at 05:24 AM.
Old 11-21-2023, 06:03 AM

wow. there was a thread here a few months ago about machine quilters mixed results with the digital prints. I certainly would send samples of what is happening including the info above to the shop where you purchased.

since that thread I've made a point of avoiding digital printed fabric the few times I've ordered something.
Old 11-21-2023, 06:09 AM
Power Poster

I've used pre cuts of Robert Kauffman digital printed fabric and so far haven't had a problem with it. I made several play quilts from digital printed panels from Missouri Star and they quilted fine. They are washed often and sill look great.
Attached Thumbnails img_0415.jpg  
Old 11-21-2023, 06:12 AM
Power Poster

another digital panel.
Attached Thumbnails shark-quilt.jpg  
Old 11-21-2023, 06:55 AM

My friend now washes all digital prints because they shrink 1/2 inches or more. She also used color catcher. I haven't had any experience with this, but she does sell fabrics and I believe what she says. I haven't purchased fabric in a long time.
Old 11-21-2023, 07:23 AM

I am not a fan of the digitally printed fabric. For me it’s very stringy and ravels a lot when cut. Glad I prefer to work with Batiks!
Old 11-21-2023, 07:35 AM

My first experience with digital printed was 20+ yrs ago. Colors were vibrant. Fabric soft. Worked up well. Very expensive.

Unaware of any others until last 3 yrs. Color were printed on top of fabric, not dyed through. Fabric stiff, almost as if the color glued the fibers together. Price great. Washed without bleeding. Dull needle snags very obvious.

my understanding is, they are printed on demand so there isn’t the need for huge inventory trying up assets in fabric and warehouse.. therefore the price can be lower.

I think this has potential. Needs work/refining.
Old 11-21-2023, 08:48 AM

Quiltsfor, are you using a sharp needle? I can remember having a similar issue many years ago with certain batiks. Not all, just some of them.

An older, well used needle didn't pierce the threads cleanly. I remember wondering if it was a dye or ink or brand problem back then. But changing the needle did help.

That was in the early days of batik popularity. It seems like they have all changed since then. It isn't a batik problem, really anymore. At least, not with me.

Last edited by 1CharmShort; 11-21-2023 at 08:50 AM.
Old 11-21-2023, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by quiltsfor View Post
Has anyone been finding some issues with digital printed fabric. it is snagging really bad.
Yes. There have been several threads on this topic. The fabric isn't snagging. This is what's happening:

The ink from digital prints sits on top of the fabric, instead of soaking into the fabric. You can tell the difference between digital and non-digital prints because if you look at the back, it's very close to white, no matter how dark the print. When the needle goes through the fabric, it will spin some of the threads so the white backside of the thread shows on the front. I asked Scott Fortunoff of Jaftex about it once and received a brusque "no idea what you're talking about" reply in return. There is no solution other than simply not buying it. Maybe if enough of us quit buying it, return it, complain to the quilt shops and manufacturers about it, they'll find a solution to it.
Old 11-21-2023, 11:10 AM

When I first noticed it, I put in a new needle. Which was really a no go to begin with because, the snags are not where the fabric seams are being sewn, they are in the middle of the fabric where there is no sewing. Not even next to or near a sewn line or area. I didn't notice them to begin with as it was the front of what is /was going to be a shirt. I had just cut it out and was attaching the back to the front. Note: this is labeled as 100% quilting cotton. Purchased from a bolt within 6 to 9 months ago and kept in a closed cupboard on a shelf.

It isn't a pulled thread across the fabric from a sewn seam/line either. It is a snag one thread wide and one or two threads long and a small hole forms if you try to ease out the snag, or even a small hole with the snag to begin with. it was just so frustrating as I really liked the fabric and was making a shirt out of each color, one of the pink daisies and one of the green vine leaves. Both fabrics had snags. - some snags appeared after little handling of the fabric, so were already on there. -- little handling is cutting it, folding it, unfolding it and starting to sew the first seam to piece it together.

Actual Examples - in a piece of unsewn fabric, probably a yard wide by width of fabric, in one area about 5 " square, there were actually 7 snags like this --- in another area, that same size there were 3 snags. In another area, that same size again 3 snags, and another area 1 snag -- all with growing holes under the snags. This is what I mean. it was like the fabric was disintegrating, only starting to do so with snags.

It seems like where the color print is, that part/of some of the thread is humped up some (raised a little) and just becomes an eventual snag.

Last edited by quiltsfor; 11-21-2023 at 11:30 AM.