Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
finish a quilt??? >

finish a quilt???

finish a quilt???

Old 01-20-2022, 06:12 AM

That is kind of a tough thing when someone asks you to make a quilt or finish a quilt for them. We had an install of a furnace and air conditioner a couple of months ago and the installer noticed my quilts scattered around the house. He very nicely asked if I make quilts for others; basically, because he wanted a T-shirt quilt made for himself. I said I do not make for others even though they would pay for it. I have run into people too often who have made quilts for others and thru the grapevine, others (quilt police) will comment that they would do this or that better. I just do not want to open myself up to such criticism. I make for my children, grandchildren, donations and for special people in my life at no cost-just because they have touched me in someway or other during my life. Too many people out there just do know what is all involved in making a quilt.
Old 01-20-2022, 06:30 AM
Power Poster

I haven't read all the responses but I would suggest a quilt guild or a local quilt shop may be the answer.
Old 01-20-2022, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by Quiltwoman44 View Post
yes my hair dresser now wants me to make her smocks and or aprons since I quilt! so far I am working on a quilt and going to Doctors. I will get her a smock done but not fast.
I am amazed that folks think because you make quilts you have **any** interest in doing garment sewing, mending or alterations. My answer always is "Oh, that is garment sewing, and I have no skills in that area."

I like the quote I have seen around the internet:

Asking A Quilter To Mend Is Like Asking Picasso To Paint Your Garage
Old 01-20-2022, 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by GingerK View Post

The second project is the problem. I know it is the one that she really loves, but it has many of the same issues and the pieces are significantly smaller. I am still mulling over my options and really really don't want to tell her how much her abilities have deteriorated.

I got caught in that situation...once! To fix the piece I would have had to take it completely apart and resew the entire thing. What I did instead was fuse the whole work with a very light one sided fusible web. That stabilized all the fraying seams. I quilted it as it stood after that.