Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Finishing a hexie quilt >

Finishing a hexie quilt

Finishing a hexie quilt

Old 08-10-2014, 05:47 AM

Default Finishing a hexie quilt

I've just finished my gfg hexie quilt top and am wondering a few things.
Firstly, at what point do I remove the paper hexies that are around the edge of the quilt top? And how do they keep their shape after the removal of the papers? Should I press them before removal?
I'm thinking I will probably end up chopping off half hexies at the edge to make it a straight line, because I would be worried about how to add the binding around the hexie shape, unless anyone has a super duper tip for binding around the edges?
Old 08-10-2014, 06:03 AM

Press before removing the hexies. I finished mine by facing the edges back with more hexies. There is a tutorial for this..but I am on the road AR present and can't search for it
Old 08-10-2014, 06:18 AM

I would google how to bind a hexie quilt. What I've seen is that they cut the edges off the last row of hexie's to make it straight. Not sure you would want that, but when I finish mine I plan on doing it. Does that help?
Old 08-10-2014, 06:53 AM
Power Poster

If you don't want to cut the hexies, then add half hexies to the edges in a background color.
Old 08-10-2014, 07:02 AM

I made a hexi table topper and kept going around and around instead of doing several flowers so it was full of irregular shapes and my LQS suggested cutting the backing & batting the same size and shape and then sewing them together with right sides together and then turning it right side out. i know that would work but there would be no binding. I couldn't do mine that way since I had already hand quilted it before asking the question. So what did I do? I ended up taking a class that showed me how to attach a regular bias binding to the odd shape. It was the most difficult thing I have ever done and it didn't come out as nice as I had hoped. But I'm the only one one who is critical of it, everyone else loves it (and wants one).

I've now started another one that will have an odd shaped edge with EPP and I will try the inside out turning method but will insert a very skinny bias covered cord in between the layers before turning and see how that comes out. Half the fun of these projects are the new challenge and the learning process so we'll see. For sure the easiest way would be to cut the edge off to make it straight. I hope however you choose to do it that you will enjoy the process and love the outcome as well. Good luck
Old 08-10-2014, 07:04 AM
Power Poster

QuiltingNan shared a video link to Terry Atkinson for binding sharp corners that will probably work for your hexagon edges if the seam allowances were pressed out along the edge. Trimming them straight is fine as well. I would press before removing your papers so the hexagons keep their shape.
Old 08-10-2014, 07:04 AM

My mother bought an old GFG quilt top several years ago and I bound it with all of the angles not cut. I prepared the binding and hand stitched it to the front then hand stitched it to the back. Because the top was old I felt it deserved keeping the angles and deserved hand stitching. It took awhile but I loved doing it!
Old 08-10-2014, 07:08 AM
Power Poster

I depends on your design. I finished a clients antique GFG and I curved around the flowers so it came out like a scalloped edge. Then I just sliced off the edge for a straight line on the other two sides. If you used glue on the fabric with the hexes, I would only press the outside edge ones. Pressing will make the glue permanent and you will have problems removing the paper. I always remove the paper or plastic hex when I have completed sewing on all six sides of the hex.
Old 08-10-2014, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by DianneK View Post
Press before removing the hexies. I finished mine by facing the edges back with more hexies. There is a tutorial for this..but I am on the road AR present and can't search for it
There is a member on this board that does it this way. Can't remember who it is, but perhaps she will see this thread and pop in to explain. She had photos. There is also a tute for this as DianneK mentioned, but I'm not sure how to find it. I found it on pinterest. I plan to use it on my next quilt. I have appliqued the edge hexies to a straight length of fabric for my other hexie quilts.
Old 08-10-2014, 08:56 AM

I finished my GFG this spring. I had trimmed off the edge to make it even. Then I staystitched around the quilt so that the seams doesn't open up. I then extended the same color (Cloud fabric) as a border around the whole quilt top. Then I had a border consisting of a fence. If you just want to finish the edges here is a video on and uneven binding technique. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwPe_84GBfY
Attached Thumbnails grandmothers-flower-garden-2013.jpeg