Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 26 to 41 of 41

Thread: Finishing tips needed on Cathedral Windows Pillow

  1. #26
    Super Member eparys's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    New England, USA
    Posts
    2,339
    Quote Originally Posted by k3n
    Betty - it will be interesting to see if there's a difference in the finished pieces, done two different ways.
    I am curious as well - I will let you know :) I am sure that the second one will be done quicker than the first without all the prep work. AND you can stitch each window before you sew them tog (which you could not do with the old method).

  2. #27
    k3n
    k3n is offline
    Power Poster k3n's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Somerset, England
    Posts
    10,712
    Blog Entries
    1
    OK so I can expect pics of the second one later today then?! LOL

  3. #28
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    7,302
    Blog Entries
    1
    Well, actually there is a difference in how they look. The "real" window makes a kind of echo in the oval, and they nestle together. The "faux" ones don't make that echo. You can nestle them together if you sew them the right way (I just tried that layout to see how it would work), but I think you'll waste a lot of fabric. Of course the real windows use an awful lot of fabric too!

  4. #29
    Super Member eparys's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    New England, USA
    Posts
    2,339
    Quote Originally Posted by gaigai
    Well, actually there is a difference in how they look. The "real" window makes a kind of echo in the oval, and they nestle together. The "faux" ones don't make that echo.
    Echo?? do you mean that oval between the colors?

    You can nestle them together if you sew them the right way (I just tried that layout to see how it would work), but I think you'll waste a lot of fabric. Of course the real windows use an awful lot of fabric too!
    Yes - when you do the old method you use 4 times the fabric for one square. I cut 9 1/2 inch squares for each one.

    The only downside I see to arranging them to nestle, is the visible seam which you do not have in the old style.

  5. #30
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    7,302
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by eparys
    Echo?? do you mean that oval between the colors?

    Yeah, if you look at the ovals between the colors in a "true" window, it has kind of a double shape, like an echo. But like you said, there is an awful waste of fabric!

  6. #31
    Power Poster Lacelady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    12,323
    Blog Entries
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by k3n
    Love this! I really want to try these, I'm just 'buffering' the tute now! I'm sorry I have no suggestions for the edges but I do think it looks fine how you've got it just folded under. It's beautiful BTW Betty - can I be your friend too?! LOL
    I've been doing this all the time, and never knew it was 'buffering'. I made some placemats using this technique, and before sewing the blocks together, I added in some folded triangles, so that I ended up with smaller 'cathedrals'. Sorry, I can only find one picture of my placemat, but you can just see half of the smaller cathdral at the top of the picture. The white fabric consists of 1.5 inch sqares, folded diagonally, and stitched across the corner of each block. When the blocks are joined together, they leave a little place to put in another fabric and stitch down, just like the larger one. Hope this makes sense

    Note the smaller cathedral in the join of two blocks
    Name:  Attachment-38210.jpe
Views: 23
Size:  76.5 KB

  7. #32
    k3n
    k3n is offline
    Power Poster k3n's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Somerset, England
    Posts
    10,712
    Blog Entries
    1
    Oh, I like that Lacelady; 1 1/2" squares? That must be fiddly! What size do they finish up?

  8. #33
    Super Member eparys's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    New England, USA
    Posts
    2,339
    Quote Originally Posted by k3n
    . . . but I do think it looks fine how you've got it just folded under. It's beautiful BTW Betty - can I be your friend too?! LOL
    Thanks - and yes - there is ALWAYS room for more friends. This gal that I am doing it for was my former neighbor in Virginia for 20 years. She was always there for me when I needed it.

    Quote Originally Posted by k3n
    OK so I can expect pics of the second one later today then?! LOL
    and no - so sorry it will be awhile. This month is "friend" month from VA. The former neighbor and her hubby were here for a week, another friend and her hubby were here for 2 days and two gals I taught with in VA arrive tomorrow morning for a week of Boston, Cape Cod and Newport RI. So I will be off line for a while and out of the sewing room. :-(


    Quote Originally Posted by Lacelady
    . . . I made some placemats using this technique, and before sewing the blocks together, I added in some folded triangles, so that I ended up with smaller 'cathedrals'. Sorry, I can only find one picture of my placemat, but you can just see half of the smaller cathdral at the top of the picture. The white fabric consists of 1.5 inch sqares, folded diagonally, and stitched across the corner of each block. When the blocks are joined together, they leave a little place to put in another fabric and stitch down, just like the larger one. Hope this makes sense
    Thanks and it does. I think I now know what I am going to do. I will post it when I get it completed. BTW your placemat is beautiful - is the quilting all freemotion or hand?

  9. #34
    Power Poster Lacelady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    12,323
    Blog Entries
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by k3n
    Oh, I like that Lacelady; 1 1/2" squares? That must be fiddly! What size do they finish up?
    Ok K3n, I just went and took another photo. my original, (larger) windows measure almost 5 inches, point to point (just under 3 inches from side to side) and the little one in the middle, made from four 1.5 inch squares, folded diagonally and stitched into the corners of the blocks before stitching the blocks together, measures three inches point to point, and 1.5 inches side to side. I hope that makes it a bit clearer. You get more bang for your buck adding in these little ones.

    Extra 'window'
    Name:  Attachment-38221.jpe
Views: 25
Size:  81.7 KB

  10. #35
    Power Poster Lacelady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    12,323
    Blog Entries
    19
    Quilting is Free Motion, another one of my learning curves. Thank you for the nice comments. This method of Cathedral Windows, by the way, uses a lot less fabric, so it is far more economical.

  11. #36
    k3n
    k3n is offline
    Power Poster k3n's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Somerset, England
    Posts
    10,712
    Blog Entries
    1
    Now that is beautiful lacelady - I might be nagging you again for more explanations when I get round to this!

  12. #37
    Power Poster Lacelady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    12,323
    Blog Entries
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by k3n
    Now that is beautiful lacelady - I might be nagging you again for more explanations when I get round to this!
    OK, I'll try to help nearer the time.

  13. #38
    k3n
    k3n is offline
    Power Poster k3n's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Somerset, England
    Posts
    10,712
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Lacelady
    Quote Originally Posted by k3n
    Now that is beautiful lacelady - I might be nagging you again for more explanations when I get round to this!
    OK, I'll try to help nearer the time.
    Tank ye very much (best Irish accent!) :D

  14. #39
    Power Poster Lacelady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    12,323
    Blog Entries
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by k3n
    Quote Originally Posted by Lacelady
    Quote Originally Posted by k3n
    Now that is beautiful lacelady - I might be nagging you again for more explanations when I get round to this!
    OK, I'll try to help nearer the time.
    Tank ye very much (best Irish accent!) :D
    You are welcome, and top of the morning to you! (also best Irish accent, as I am UK born!)

  15. #40
    Super Member Shemjo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    St. Louis, Missouri
    Posts
    6,895
    These are interesting examples of Cathedral windows! Will have to check out the alternate techniques!
    The black and white CW with the cats and dogs is sew cute! I have a little piece of that cat and dog fabric! What a neat way to use it! :lol:

  16. #41
    k3n
    k3n is offline
    Power Poster k3n's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Somerset, England
    Posts
    10,712
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Lacelady
    Quote Originally Posted by k3n
    Quote Originally Posted by Lacelady
    Quote Originally Posted by k3n
    Now that is beautiful lacelady - I might be nagging you again for more explanations when I get round to this!
    OK, I'll try to help nearer the time.
    Tank ye very much (best Irish accent!) :D
    You are welcome, and top of the morning to you! (also best Irish accent, as I am UK born!)
    And may de road rise up ta meet ya! :wink: :D

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.