Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
first fabric box >

first fabric box

first fabric box

Old 10-17-2013, 05:18 AM

Default first fabric box

I made my first box and put a square of heavy cardboard covered with the outside fabric down in the bottom to give it more stability. Next time, I will use the plastic canvas. Any other suggestions. I made the 12" size. The only problem I had was that the wrong fabric came out as the outside. Will have to practice. I do love the pattern. Will post picture later. On to my Bee this morning.
Old 10-17-2013, 06:43 AM
Power Poster

when i made mine into a bread basket, i was tempted to put a tile on the bottom. years ago i had one that allowed you to heat the tile, put it in, and that helped keep the rolls warm. i'm thinking, now, though, that the tile might be too heavy for the fabric basket... my other one was wooden.
Old 10-17-2013, 06:46 AM
Power Poster

It can be confusing getting the right fabric on the outside. just remember, the side you mark for your corners is to be the inside one.
Old 10-17-2013, 01:17 PM
Power Poster

I made a small one out of left over fabric. had a 6 1/2 inch blk print, added left over red print to it to make a 10 inch square. not too bad. I call this one a Candy Dish.
Attached Thumbnails 001.jpg  
Old 10-17-2013, 03:31 PM

It looks great CC!
Old 10-17-2013, 03:42 PM

Is this a pattern somewhere on this site? This looks really cute! Would be great for wrapping presents. Most of my friends/family are "into" reusable gift packaging that we all use over and over so it'd be worth the time/fabric investment.
Old 10-17-2013, 03:52 PM

I buy $1 placemats ( the foam like plastic ones) and used them in the bottom of my purses and they would work great in the bottom of the boxes.

Originally Posted by lizzy View Post
I made my first box and put a square of heavy cardboard covered with the outside fabric down in the bottom to give it more stability. Next time, I will use the plastic canvas. Any other suggestions. I made the 12" size. The only problem I had was that the wrong fabric came out as the outside. Will have to practice. I do love the pattern. Will post picture later. On to my Bee this morning.
Old 10-17-2013, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by Sewnoma View Post
Is this a pattern somewhere on this site? This looks really cute! Would be great for wrapping presents. Most of my friends/family are "into" reusable gift packaging that we all use over and over so it'd be worth the time/fabric investment.
Here is the link. Enjoy and don't forget to show us the photos when done. I bet you cannot stop at one!!!!!

http://seaside-stitches.blogspot.com...-tutorial.html
Old 10-17-2013, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by busy fingers View Post
Here is the link. Enjoy and don't forget to show us the photos when done. I bet you cannot stop at one!!!!!

http://seaside-stitches.blogspot.com...-tutorial.html
Thank you! That looks really easy to make, perfect for using up batting scraps! Seems like it would be pretty easy to add ribbon slots (button holes) to the top to make it something you could close....hmmm.... Lots of ideas!

I'll be sure to post links when I try it! Not this weekend, though, I'll be at a big quilt festival!
Old 10-19-2013, 09:00 PM

I look forward to seeing your pictures. Fabric boxes are on my "to do list".