Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
First guild meeting tomorrow night -- yah hoooooo! >

First guild meeting tomorrow night -- yah hoooooo!

First guild meeting tomorrow night -- yah hoooooo!

Old 06-09-2014, 06:01 AM

Have fun at your Guild meeting tonight. But remember, it takes a while for friends to develop. If you meet one new person tonight, that's the start of a friendship. Enjoy!
Old 06-09-2014, 11:41 AM

I agree with toverly. It takes time to develop friendships. I'm so glad that I stuck with my guild and gave it a year to test it out. Whenever you are in a situation with people who know each other and you don't it is hard to initially fit in because they all seem to be talking and catching up. It doesn't necessarily mean that they aren't friendly but more involved in what they are doing. We've moved around a lot so I have been put in the situation a lot of time of being the new person at clubs, church etc. Reach out and others will respond and the more you go and be involved the more comfortable you'll become. Ask lots of questions of your neighbor. There'll be things you won't understand and don't be afraid to find out what it all means. That way you won't feel so lost.
Old 06-09-2014, 11:56 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Pagzz View Post
hmmm, you might consider me cliquish. I love to talk with my friends at guild. They were with me through my cancer, and the death of my son.

it always amazes me how quickly someone will go negative on this board in any discussion of guilds.
Hey Pagzz...

I hope you don't think I'm being too negative.... I sure never intended my comment to be taken that way.

In the groups that I have belonged to, I have always found a couple of people that are extra nice... and I've enjoyed myself. But the flip side of that *is* that there have been people that are not-so-nice (and that's being ***kind***).

Hanging with your friends that have been through so much with you is totally understandable! But the "clique" comes in when someone is shunned for their choice of sewing machine, or their age or maybe age of their machine, their weight, or their fabric choices, etc. At least around here, you'd have to be in a coma to have not seen some of those things go down. Ack!

I'm an "infrequent" (I've been called that lately) guild member. I show up when I feel like it. And... if the weather is nice and I can be out on the lake with a fishing rod instead of sewing - I'm *there*. At this point in my life, I'm still trying to get some family issues under control, etc. So I am not in tight with any organization (sewing, animal rescue, granddaughter activities, etc) these days - not enough to volunteer time, etc - but I do like to go when I can actually relax and enjoy myself.
Old 06-10-2014, 09:03 AM

I think guilds get a bad rap because some of us have been burned by our experiences in them. I personally pick and chose now after feeling used then excluded by the in crowd. If I can go and learn something or contribute to others I attend, otherwise I would rather work on my own or with one or two friends. I've always been kind of a hermit, so this works well for me.