Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • first guilt meeting last night >
  • first guilt meeting last night

• first guilt meeting last night

Old 02-16-2011, 05:49 PM

I have never been in a guild nor been to any meetings as a guest but I also am not shy. However, whenever I do talk to someone that appears to be stuffie and cold I just say to myself "move on; it will be better elsewhere" as my positive thought to myself and usually that is the case.

I would go one more time and see if things are different. If not than move on to another guild or either just go on to classes and participate and see who comes to you. They can't be cold forever.
    Old 02-16-2011, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by Vanuatu Jill
    I went to my first guild meeting last night, Marcie Baker from Alicia's Attic (Colorado) was guest speaker. Since I have never been to a class or guild meeting before, or to a quilt show for that matter, I really enjoyed it. I only wish I had more money with me-I would have loved to buy a couple of the tools/notions she had! Anyway, there must have been about 100 people there! I didn't meet anyone, unfortunately. I sort of felt invisible, and I'm a bit shy, so I find it hard to introduce myself. Anyway, I tried! It would be nice if guild members were a little more conscience of new people attending, to try and make them feel welcome. I'm glad I only paid as a guest for the night.
    Been there done that. That is why I do not go to guild meetings. I went once and had the same experince.
    Old 02-16-2011, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by Kas
    I went to my first guild meeting last night, Marcie Baker from Alicia's Attic (Colorado) was guest speaker. Since I have never been to a class or guild meeting before, or to a quilt show for that matter, I really enjoyed it. I only wish I had more money with me-I would have loved to buy a couple of the tools/notions she had! Anyway, there must have been about 100 people there! I didn't meet anyone, unfortunately. I sort of felt invisible, and I'm a bit shy, so I find it hard to introduce myself. Anyway, I tried! It would be nice if guild members were a little more conscience of new people attending, to try and make them feel welcome. I'm glad I only paid as a guest for the night.
    I thought you were going with a friend? I agree that they should mention the guests. We always do and also point out new members. My first time I only knew one person, and her table was full, so I met the other ladies at my table. If you are in rows, I guess it would be harder to meet people. Sign up to work on the raffle quilt or the charity you support. That is a great way to meet others.
    I did go with a friend-seemed no one really paid attention to her, either. And she used to belong to that quild a few years ago, and still knew a few ladies. The two of us just hung out together. I think if it weren't for the guest speaker, I might have left early. I'm not going to dwell on this, now that a day or two has passed. I did enjoy the speaker, though!
    Old 02-16-2011, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by roseOfsharon
    I'm sorry you had experienced a feeling of aloneness. My guild is not a large one only 90 mbrs to date. Most everyone welcomes a new comer even if a guest. We encourage them to return and usually someone will befriend her/him in the process. Look into another guild if possible.
    You paid to attend as a GUEST???? I really am sorry you were treated so shabbily.
    Old 02-16-2011, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by madamekelly
    Originally Posted by roseOfsharon
    I'm sorry you had experienced a feeling of aloneness. My guild is not a large one only 90 mbrs to date. Most everyone welcomes a new comer even if a guest. We encourage them to return and usually someone will befriend her/him in the process. Look into another guild if possible.
    You paid to attend as a GUEST???? I really am sorry you were treated so shabbily.
    I didn't mind paying since there was a good guest speaker-it was only $5.oo. I wasn't treated shabbily, just not acknowledged or talked to. I might give it another go in the future. I know quilters are a great bunch-that's why I love this board so much!! I finally have a outlet to chat about what I love and learn so much. I guess that's maybe I thought someone there would have made a point of at least acknowledging newcomers and making an effort to chat even for a short while. I know I would have.
    Old 02-16-2011, 09:31 PM

My guild is small - 55 members - and guests do not pay. When there are new members, each person present introduces themselves, say where they are from, etc. and welcome the new people. Perhaps things in that guild just got out of kilter because of the speaker. Are there other guilds in your area? Do you know someone in another guild? Please don't give up. My few years in my guild have been very informative, productive and enlightening.
    Old 02-16-2011, 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by isnthatodd
    Marci's sister belongs to a group I belong to, and she came to help us start a quilt. We got a private lesson about lots of things and it was wonderful. Since then I have purchased a couple of things from her shop.
    Lucky! I really enjoyed listening to her-then today looked at several of her videos on u-tube-very clear and precise-easy to understand. She was using the notions she had for sale last night. I really wish I had more money with me to purchase them last night. I know I can get them at a quilt shop, though. There was a workshop she was holding today, but I didn't sign up for it.

i also felt invisible at my first guild meeting. don't let that stop you from trying again. when you arrive go up to the check in table and let them know you are new and would like a guild guide, or whatever they call the person who can take you around and show you the ropes.

the other thing is to try one of the classes. you get more one on one with the members in a smaller group. also check to see if they have any neighborhood groups or circles. they are always fun and you really get to know people that way.

guilds have a lot to offer but you will have to push yourself to reach out more. believe me when i say i understand. i have always been one to wait for someone to come to me. finally realized i was getting lonely waiting.

i just signed up, along with a friend, for a small position (block of the month chair) and now i am getting to know everyone. lots of fun.

go for it.
    Old 02-17-2011, 06:26 AM

I understand how it feels to be new to a guild. The first night I attended I went ahead and paid dues for a year. Then I realized that hardly anyone was friendly. The president that year was actually very rude to me. Little by little the members began to talk to me. That was two years ago. This year I am the president!
    Old 02-17-2011, 06:31 AM
    Power Poster

Iv never gone to one, guess because I fear that might happen to me. I am kind of like you, dont really want to stand out. Maybe you could try again though at a regular meeting?
    Old 02-17-2011, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by munchkinmama
    I understand how it feels to be new to a guild. The first night I attended I went ahead and paid dues for a year. Then I realized that hardly anyone was friendly. The president that year was actually very rude to me. Little by little the members began to talk to me. That was two years ago. This year I am the president!
    WOW I love your story! Way to go!