Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
First Project Sewing Question >

First Project Sewing Question

First Project Sewing Question

Old 07-16-2013, 03:42 PM

Default First Project Sewing Question

Hello everyone...My name is Karen, and I am finally getting started on my basic square-patch quilting projects. I am a new sewer...I was just given a Singer Talent 3321 machine, and I consistently get loops on the back of my patches at the top (see attached images) when I sew on it. What does this mean, can anyone tell me? What is strange to me at least is that the stitching works itself out after the problem. ? Thanks if you can help, Karen
Attached Thumbnails stitching-trouble-001.jpg   stitching-trouble-002.jpg  
Old 07-16-2013, 04:03 PM
Power Poster

Karen, it looks like the thread is being pulled into the stitches as you start to stitch. Try holding those threads behind the foot as you take the first 3 or 4 stitches and hopefully that will solve the problem. Happy Sewing
Old 07-16-2013, 04:10 PM
Power Poster

bring the bobbin thread to the top by putting the needle down-back up, pulling up the bobbin thread- then hold both threads together behind your fabric as you start stitching.
Old 07-16-2013, 04:48 PM

This should help you: http://quiltville.blogspot.com/2005/...-and-hows.html

Bookmark her site and go back when you have time. She has a lot of tips to help you. Welcome to quilting!
Old 07-16-2013, 07:26 PM

Yes, you want to start sewing on a "leader", that will solve your problem.
Have fun and report back on how you are advancing.
Old 07-16-2013, 08:07 PM

A leader is a small piece of fabric you feed through just before you put your pieces in. The leader will catch all the loose thread so its not on your seam. Just use a scrap of fabric. Some people also use a scrap at the end and then just leave it there as the next leader. Then you cut the leader off and leave on the side of your machine to use again.
Old 07-16-2013, 10:05 PM

Karen. Welcome to the site. First no real problem. It is when you start sewing leaving the end of threads to do their own thing. All of the above are best ways to handle the problem. The method Ckcowl has told you is also the way you will always begin you top quilting either walking foot or free motion.
The leader is also useful to test machine stitch size on ,in UK where I am they are called pigs.putting at the end also means ready for next start.
Do you chain piece. This would also prevent problem. Ie just before you finish one piece insert the next and continue it also saves on the thread.
Old 07-17-2013, 01:45 AM

Originally Posted by tesspug View Post
A leader is a small piece of fabric you feed through just before you put your pieces in. The leader will catch all the loose thread so its not on your seam. Just use a scrap of fabric. Some people also use a scrap at the end and then just leave it there as the next leader. Then you cut the leader off and leave on the side of your machine to use again.
This is excellent advice. Since I've begun using the "leaders and enders," piecing is a cinch. It also conserves thread.
Happy sewing to you.
Old 07-17-2013, 07:17 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
bring the bobbin thread to the top by putting the needle down-back up, pulling up the bobbin thread- then hold both threads together behind your fabric as you start stitching.
I agree!! This sould solve it!!!