Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
First Time Using Flannel >

First Time Using Flannel

First Time Using Flannel

Old 01-19-2014, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by MargaretH View Post
I ordered from Beverly Fabrics at bevelys.com. Their turn around was fast and the cuts were very generous. I had never ordered from them before, but this was the color and print that my grand daughter loved. I am loving it now too.
At the Beverlys stores, they will honor Joanns coupons up to 30% off. Makes it possible to get good quality fabric for a decent price!
Old 01-19-2014, 12:47 PM

I have read all of the horror stories about flannel. Granddaughter has found a fabric on line for her quilt back. Low and behold, it is flannel. I decided, oh well, time to give it a try. The fabric is Timeless Treasures Flannel. We just received it today. I washed and dried twice. There was not as much lint in dryer as I had expected from posts from others. There was very litlle fraying and not much shrinkage. The flannel did not pill and is beautiful. I am anxioux to get working with it.
I've read tons of the flannel posts--------------and have heard very few horror stories. There are things to avoid--------cheap flimsey fabric and washing/not washing-----------but what else? the same could be said for almost any type of weave/finish
Old 01-19-2014, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie View Post
I've read tons of the flannel posts--------------and have heard very few horror stories. There are things to avoid--------cheap flimsey fabric and washing/not washing-----------but what else? the same could be said for almost any type of weave/finish
Geeez......I guess a horror story is a matter of opinion.....Not being able to use a fabric do to shrinkage, pilling and bleeding makes it a horror story in my book...I do not like to throw money away
Old 01-19-2014, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by willferg View Post
At the Beverlys stores, they will honor Joanns coupons up to 30% off. Makes it possible to get good quality fabric for a decent price!
I did not know about the coupons. DO THEY ACCEPT THEM ONLINE?
Old 01-19-2014, 01:31 PM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

I am too using flannel for the first time. It came from Fons and Porter and the line is called 'Woolies'. I washed and dried it and am very happy with it. All I've done is cut so far. I have to cut a gazillion HSTs and I'm not enjoying the process. Once that is finally done, I think I'll love sewing on it. It's so nice to cut -- like cutting through butter.
Old 01-20-2014, 01:10 PM

I did not know about the coupons. DO THEY ACCEPT THEM ONLINE?
I don't know if they will accept Joann coupons online, but if you get on the Beverly's mailing list, they send out one that occasionally offers 25% off a cut of fabric, plus tells you what's on sale.
Old 01-20-2014, 04:47 PM

Geeez......I guess a horror story is a matter of opinion.....Not being able to use a fabric do to shrinkage, pilling and bleeding makes it a horror story in my book...I do not like to throw money away
If you wash a fabric in HOT water a couple times the shrinking is over with. Cheap fabric pills, not just flannel. Flannels are NOT the only fabrics that bleed, batiks are bad at it, too. But you wash a few times and go on your way.

However, use what makes you happy. Flannel makes me happy.
Old 01-20-2014, 07:49 PM

I have never had any problem with flannel, I have used cheaper flannel and more pricey flannel. I do wash at least once.
Old 01-20-2014, 10:11 PM

Location: A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....

i love backing quilts with flannel... so soft and warm..
Old 01-21-2014, 02:24 AM

I use flannel all the time and love it...If making a lapsize or larger I do buy it from a LQS, I find the quality is better.