Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Which is first for you? >

Which is first for you?

Which is first for you?

Old 07-23-2011, 07:51 AM

I have noticed alot of you make all the blocks first and then join them. Alot of you make a few blocks and join them before continuing.
Are there advantages to either way?
If I find a pattern I really like, carpenter's wheel for example, should I cut all the pieces and then assemble the rows or what are your suggestions. Just curious, as I seem to loose interest once I have proven to myself I can make the block.
I know they say the carpenyer's wheel is a easy block to do, but for some reason it has been the only one so far that I enjoy making over and over again.
My grandkids, jokingly tell me I'm old and boring, but that's ok. the voices in my head tell me I'm fine! lol
Old 07-23-2011, 07:55 AM

I like to cut all the pieces before sewing anything.
Old 07-23-2011, 07:58 AM

If it's all one fabric cut it at once
Old 07-23-2011, 07:59 AM

Unless you are positive that you have pleanty of extra material, I would finish piecing one block & then cut all the remaining pieces. Doing the 1st block assures that your cutting every thing correctly. Then cutting the pieces for remainder assures you won't run out of material for the size quilt you want.
Old 07-23-2011, 08:08 AM
Kas

Originally Posted by donnajean
Unless you are positive that you have pleanty of extra material, I would finish piecing one block & then cut all the remaining pieces. Doing the 1st block assures that your cutting every thing correctly. Then cutting the pieces for remainder assures you won't run out of material for the size quilt you want.
Agreed. Then I wait to join all the blocks together. I put them on my design wall so I can get the balance I am looking for before making it permanent.
Old 07-23-2011, 08:11 AM

Makes alot of sense, as I,m always afraid I will run out of fabric before I finish a quilt. I have a tendency to latch onto a fabric I like and use it for more than one block in different quilt ideas.

I need to change my procedures! Hope I can teach this old dog a new trick, or routine!
Old 07-23-2011, 08:18 AM

I made a puff quilt, which was all blocks. I cut all my blocks first, to make sure I have enough. The quilt that I started now is my very 1st log cabin. My DH is cutting the strips for me, since for some reason I can't cut strips straight. He's cutting me 5 strips of each pattern. As I need more he cuts 5 more. I am making these log cabin quilt blocks approx 10 1/2. Figured 9 to a row. I have my first 9 finished last night. I will press these and set them to the side until I finish all my blocks
Old 07-23-2011, 10:20 AM
Power Poster

I never have a plan...just wing it....and tying in to another post just read....apparently this is typical of aries
Old 07-23-2011, 11:20 AM
Power Poster

i hate cutting a whole quilt out at once- if you make one little error you can have to scrap yards of fabric...and start over- i am much more comfortable to just work a block at a time- when i reach a point where i can start laying things out it gets so exciting! and it seems like a quilt is taking quite awhile...then all of a sudden it all comes together...ahhhhhhh wonderful!
that and i might cut out a whole quilt - struggle with a block and decide i really hate this---and i'm stuck with stacks of cut fabrics---takes the fun right out of the process for me
Old 07-24-2011, 05:17 AM
Power Poster

I cut enough for 1 test block. If everything goes OK, I cut the rest of the fabric for the blocks, but not the sashing or borders. I hate starting to sew blocks then having to go back and cut more. I don't join the blocks until they are all done because half the time the way I originally planned on laying the blocks out changes when I see the actual blocks.