Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Firsts... an experiment of sorts >

Firsts... an experiment of sorts

Firsts... an experiment of sorts

Old 08-01-2016, 08:55 AM

Default Firsts... an experiment of sorts

I'm starting a new quilt called Color Me Crayons and I've decided it will be a quilt of firsts for me.

It's the first time I've ever bought a pattern for a quilt. This one just struck me so strongly, I had to have it. Following directions is NOT my strong point though. Just figuring out the fabric requirements was a chore for me, although I'm sure they were very clearly written for the average person, so we'll see!

This will be the first time I DON'T pre-wash my fabric.

And, I bought a cotton quilting sateen for the background fabric, because I liked the sheen factor.

So, altogether, this could go well or could go....not so well.

I guess we'll see.

For those who don't wash beforehand, do you still starch?

Watson
Old 08-01-2016, 09:00 AM
Power Poster

I hope it works out for you. When I did did my Color Me Happy quilt with bright pre cuts I didn't wash either but I decided to do a black background so even if they bleed, I would still be good. I did include colour catchers with it when it was gifted.
Old 08-01-2016, 09:17 AM

My dear Watson (sorry, I couldn't resist.), I googled your quilting pattern, and it is very pretty. I saw a pattern with the suggested fabrics and it looks as though it is built around poka-dots, which I love. I hope you'll post a photo when you finish it.
Old 08-01-2016, 09:20 AM

Tartan...now you've got me worried.....maybe I will pre-wash. That would be terrible if I did the whole thing and it bled.
Hmmmm....

Watson

Last edited by Watson; 08-01-2016 at 09:25 AM.
Old 08-01-2016, 09:23 AM

When I start a quilt I make a key, where I glue a little piece of each fabric I'm using, on paper, with the suggested fabric number or the order it's used, next to it. I hope that makes sense. It helps me stay on track, especially when there are many fabrics. Hth, Gina

P.s. I always prewash
Old 08-01-2016, 09:38 AM
Banned

A couple years ago I made quilt with 1930s fabrics, white background and bright blue sateen borders. I only pre washed the flannel I used for the back. No problems with colors bleeding. I hardly ever pre wash anything except flannel. I do starch my fabric before cutting, but I use Magic Sizing not starch.

Cari
Old 08-01-2016, 09:42 AM
Power Poster

I couldn't wash with my pre cuts but if you have yardage, snip off little squares, wash them in hot water and lay them on white paper towels to dry. If there is no colour transfer to the paper towel, you should be good to go.
Old 08-01-2016, 09:43 AM

I never pre-wash or starch. I gift the quilt not yet washed and instruct the recipient to wash in cold water. I hope all quilts are still nice. If they bleed then we can pretend that its all the blood, sweat and tears I put into making it. It will still keep people warm, whether it bleeds or not. No one has ever told me that their quilt has bled...I also let them know that it will wrinkle if put in the dryer, but I'm ok with wrinkles...on my quilts any ways!
Old 08-01-2016, 09:44 AM
Power Poster

If you don't want to wash and press all the fabric do a sample wash. Snip a small piece of each fabric and put each one in hot water for minute then place on white paper towel. If it will bleed you will see it.
Old 08-01-2016, 10:04 AM
Power Poster

Don't know if this is a trait of cotton sateen, but I recently used it for the first time in a quilt and found it to be really stretchy. Might be just the type I bought, but give yours a tug to see. It's not a show stopper, just something to be aware of. I starched it a bit more than I normally would and it was fine.