Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fiskars Cutting Boards >

Fiskars Cutting Boards

Fiskars Cutting Boards

Old 07-03-2010, 11:08 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Pam
If you are smart enough to read the woarning you are usually too smart to eat the plastic bag it came in.
:XD: :XD: :XD:
Old 07-03-2010, 11:28 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by PatriceJ
Originally Posted by Pam
If you are smart enough to read the woarning you are usually too smart to eat the plastic bag it came in.
:XD: :XD: :XD:
:thumbup: :lol: :thumbup: :lol:
Old 07-03-2010, 11:37 AM
Administrator

i often wish they'd stop printing warning labels.

anybody stupid enough to do 99% of the things they warn against deserves whatever they get. :lol:
Old 07-03-2010, 12:05 PM

I just laugh at a lot of packaging I see these days. It seems EVERYTHING causes the state of California to get cancer, birth defects and/or reproductive harm. I think the packaging is trying to prevent frivolous lawsuits like the one from a lady in CA who wanted to sue because Captain Crunch didn't contain "real" crunchberries. She felt violated because they weren't dried fruit. (Do all the nuts live in this state? Crunchberries aren't a real berry and were always marketed as a cartoon.)
Old 07-03-2010, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by Kathy N
I just got one of those new Fiskar rotating cutting boards for 50% off at Joann's today. I was delighted with my purchase until I got home and read the package.

There is a warning: "This product contains chemicals known to the state of California to cause cancer, birth defects and/or reproductive harm.

What does California know that the rest of us don't know. Now I'm not sure if I want this or if I should take it back. Is that warning on all cutting boards?
My Husband was in the propane business for 17 years before becoming a Lineman. Tanks in Ca. have a warning about propane may cause cancer in reproductive organs. 2 years into his new job he got testicular cancer. Makes ya wonder :?:
Old 07-03-2010, 12:34 PM
Google Goddess

I would use it, have fun, as everything anymore they say cause cancer.
Old 07-03-2010, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by lab fairy
I just laugh at a lot of packaging I see these days. It seems EVERYTHING causes the state of California to get cancer, birth defects and/or reproductive harm. I think the packaging is trying to prevent frivolous lawsuits like the one from a lady in CA who wanted to sue because Captain Crunch didn't contain "real" crunchberries. She felt violated because they weren't dried fruit. (Do all the nuts live in this state? Crunchberries aren't a real berry and were always marketed as a cartoon.)
Not ALL of us...just our lawmakers :lol: :lol: :lol:
Old 07-03-2010, 12:40 PM

I'm sorry about your husband. Many things happen coincidentally.

A lot of things are incorrectly labeled by companies and agencies who have no understanding of what the chemical or biological agent actually is or does. I have seen people afraid of WATER because it was referred to as "dihydrogen monoxide" and were told that it was dangerous when exposed to an excessive amount (like you'd drown, duh). So a group of clueless people actually demanded it be banned from schools and public buildings. Caused a stir among the more non-sciencey crowd in our area until we convinced them that getting rid of water would make for a real interesting reassessment of fire codes, hygene, cafeteria operations.

I checked propane out to make sure that my databases were accurate. According to Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), Material Safety Data Sheets, Chemistry and Physics handbook, Merck Index, and my Toxicology Handbook, propane is not considered a health risk other than flamablilty.

If you are worried about exposure to any specific substance, you can look up the MSDS sheets. Every chemical has to have a MSDS and most businesses, schools, etc. are supposed to keep these on the premises. We were even required to keep them for the white-out, markers, copier toners, you get the drift.
Old 07-03-2010, 12:44 PM

I was actually thinking of some relatives that live there when I was writing.

I really didn't mean ALL Californians are nuts because, hey, you'd be missing one...I live in Texas. :-)
Old 07-03-2010, 12:53 PM

If you are really concerned contact Fiskars...