Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fiskars Strip Cutter by Donna Dewberry >

Fiskars Strip Cutter by Donna Dewberry

Fiskars Strip Cutter by Donna Dewberry

Old 05-10-2012, 05:17 AM

Default Fiskars Strip Cutter by Donna Dewberry

I'm considering this purchase and before I do, does anyone have this item and, if so, do you recommend it? Please give me your HONEST opinions as only my Quiltingboard friends can!!
Old 05-10-2012, 05:40 AM

I have the old fiskar ruler with attached rotary cutter..It is much larger than this. From what I understand tho, they no longer make the one I have..If you purchase it from amazon, you will be able to easily return it if you are not satisfied. I can tell you I have been very satisfied with any fiskar products I have purchased
Old 05-10-2012, 06:06 AM
MTS
Banned

Isn't the DD ruler/combo only 12"?
If that's enough for you, then get it (especially if you can get it at Joann's with a coupon).

The older (discontinued) Fiskar's model was 24" .

The only other 24" combo on the market that I've ever seen is the one by Sew Easy Sew (from Australia, I think).

Pricey, but it works well.

I bought mine here:
http://webstore.quiltropolis.net/sto...3&Item_ID=8117
Old 05-10-2012, 06:06 AM
Power Poster

I have the first one made for fabric and I was told it was a quilting collectible now. LOL. It works great, awkward to use at first but it makes very straight cuts. I haven't seen the Dewberry one. Is it geared toward scrapbooking?
Old 05-10-2012, 06:11 AM

I have never used one and I had to look it up to see what it looks like. It looks like a small paper cutter.
Old 05-10-2012, 06:39 AM
Power Poster

I looked at the Donna Dewberry one. It looks nice and is for fabric. The price isn't bad because that's less then I paid for the older one years ago although it was much larger. I would buy this new one if I didn't have the old one.
Old 05-10-2012, 06:50 AM

I just took a look at it on line. It looks like a paper cutter I have. Does the fabric go onto the "mat" and then under the cutting rail? I would think that would make it a little difficult to place the fabric correctly. Another consideration then is does the rail lift higher to accomdate more layers of fabric? If it only does one or two layers, a ruler would be just as good as far as I am concerned.

I have the old Fiscar cutter and love it. You can square up the fabric easily just by reversing the ruler. Then you can cut strips with multiple layers of fabric. Why Fiskars discontinued this marvelous tool is beyond me! Had I known beforehand I would have purchased a second on the squirrel away in case this one gets broken. It's one of my favorite tools.
Old 05-11-2012, 03:30 PM

I have Donna Dewberry cutter and just love it I get very straight cuts with it wouldnt be without it

it cuts very straight and even
Old 05-11-2012, 03:42 PM

I have it and I love it. It has markings for making jelly rolls, honeybuns, etc. The only thing is to make sure to starch and iron your fabric before trying to cut it. By making sure the fabric is starched and ironed, it sure helps with the curved, bowing of your strips. This is one of the most wonderful time savers I've ever found. I really don't think you will regret buying it.
Old 05-12-2012, 06:44 PM

Thank you for all your replies - I will go to Joann's, coupon in hand, and will be able to make a good decision once I see this thing in person now that I've heard from all of you. I'm hoping it is longer (24") and if I do decide to make the purchase, you will hear about it here. Happy Mother's to all!!