Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Fiskers

Quote Originally Posted by Chasing Hawk
    I use a Fiskar's cutter, I haven't had any issues with it other than slicing my forearm open a bit. (Didn't bleed on anything important).
    Holy cow! Now that scares me. I spoke to a woman who cut the tips of 4 fingers off. I have no idea what rotary it was, but that wasn't the point...she said she just did a dumb thing. I worry about doing dumb things, which does happen, dumb things I mean. :shock:

Oh, I'm glad you are all right and didn't bleed on anything. ;)

Pam
    Well, Chasing Hawk's fingers probably needed to be trimmed anyway.

I had a Fiskars cutter for over 20 years, and never had a problem. I lost it last year, and had to get a new one, Fiskars again. Well, this weekend was cutting a quilt- the cutter broke! Something inside that I can't fix; the blade won't lock into place. Only a few months old, and I had to get a new one. They sure don't make things the way they used to. Now I really want to find the old one- I'm pretty sure its in the house, lost in the clutter.

I agree with both of the Fiskers problems that you mentioned. My blades dull much too quickly, and I am constantly having to tighten the screw. Am thinking of switching back to Olfa. Did not know that these were common problems!

We have a Fiskers paper cutter that seems always to be dull. I like my Olfa rotary cutter. I also have a Gingher, which is do not like.

I've used both Olfa & Fiskars. I always liked the handle grip of the Fiskar more, but one of mine did seem to loosen up also ... ?

I bought the Martelli cutter a year or so ago and I REALLY like it !! I recommend it to everyone, it's all I use now. All the others sit in the drawer :)

I have had a Fiskers, Olfa, a Martelli and a Gingher - they're like fishing lures... you never know which one you will like best!

Anyway I always go back to the 45mm Olfa with snap back retractable blade. I always end up leaving my blade locked open and with the Olfa - when you relase the handle the blade snaps in. It's the only one we carry at my LQS and recomend it to new quilters.

som
    Blog Entries
    i use a sharpener its well worth the money, i havnt bought a new blade scince i got it,

som

I've never used the Fiskars cutter and only used an Olfa when I didn't have mine handy. I use a curved handle Quilters Rule cutter or one of the old brown Dritz cutters (mine are both 20 years or older!). I did try Fiskars blades and found that they really dull quickly, so I only use Olfa blades which last a long time and can be sharpened well. I would like to have a 60mm cutter, tho.

Quote Originally Posted by Pam
    Well, Chasing Hawk's fingers probably needed to be trimmed anyway.
    I have all 11 fingers still thank you very much........LOL

Blog Entries
    I have both and prefer my Friskers, however it is getting harder and harder to find replacement blades. I love my Friskers 12 1/2 in square ruler, but chipped a corner on it and would love to find another one. I haven't been on line yet to check there.

Quote Originally Posted by bstanbro
    We have a Fiskers paper cutter that seems always to be dull. I like my Olfa rotary cutter. I also have a Gingher, which is do not like.
    Speaking of Gingher, I went to Joanns the other day and seen the price of them. They sure are very expensive.

For those of you who use the olfa cutters, do you like/or use the duluxe cutter or just the original cutter better?

I think the cutting mat has a lot to do with the blades getting dull. When I use a certain brand I am always changing blades. I have both Fiskars and Olfa

Quote Originally Posted by gma7
    I think the cutting mat has a lot to do with the blades getting dull. When I use a certain brand I am always changing blades. I have both Fiskars and Olfa
    Hmmm. my cutting mat isn't in good shape anymore. But I have 2 others so I don't know why I keep going back to the beat up mat! It really is beyond help, I should pitch it.

I have a small olfa and the larger one... I don't like the little one very much. But I love the bigger one.

I am going to change my office into a sewing room so this is a good conversation for me to listen to.

:D

Pam
    Turn your mat over!!! You paid for both sides, use them!!! There is a brand new mat lurking on your cutting table.

Turn your mat over!!! You paid for both sides, use them!!! There is a brand new mat lurking on your cutting table.
    well, duh, where is my head! I guess it doesn't matter that the other side doesn't have grid marks. :oops:

I learned to quilt with my Fiskars. I love it! I too cut like a drunk, but I attributed that to being new. But by now I shouldn't have any problems cutting. My Fiskars loosen up on me- rarely, so it's really not a problem for me.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Melody
    I have used the fiskars for 5 years but recently bought an olfa. I love it! The fiskars has a problem with the screw coming loose after using only a few times. I constantly have to keep tightening it. I was afraid of cutting myself so I decided to try the olfa and it's wonderful. And I also bought a blade sharpener so I can reuse the dull blades. Both rotary cutters are the same size, 45.
    HI Melody, does your blade sharpener work? My LQS told me it doesn't work as well as new blades.

Blog Entries
    I have a Martelli cutter and like it much more than Olfa or Fiskars, I have tried them all.
    Pam, I am a 'why' person. Why do you like your Martelli cutter better than Olfa?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gma7
    I was using my Olfa cutter on a Fiskars mat and it dulled my blades quickly.

I relocated my 24 x 36 Olfa mat into my kitchen on a unused counter (sounds silly but we have one) and found that the Olfa blade is lasting much longer.

So, I will be using the Fiskar mat for something else creative.

Bev
    Quote Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter
    I have a Fiskars cutter. It goes through blades pretty fast but I'm pretty sure that is because I cut like a drunk and run into my ruler! The screw has loosened a few times, but it's never been a problem.
    You sound just like me. I run into the edge of my cutter a lot. And nobody needs to tell me how bad that is for both ruler and cutter blade. I already know. It's real tough on blades, but it just destroys those expensive rulers! I'm trying to be so very careful these days since I had to replace two rulers and gosh knows how many blades. I need to get a blade sharpener too. Some of my quilting buddies at my guild say they don't really work well and it's a waste of money. How do all of you feel about them?

8-)

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I don't have a frisker cutter. Sorry I can't help. God bless. Penny

Quote Originally Posted by SewExtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Melody
    I have used the fiskars for 5 years but recently bought an olfa. I love it! The fiskars has a problem with the screw coming loose after using only a few times. I constantly have to keep tightening it. I was afraid of cutting myself so I decided to try the olfa and it's wonderful. And I also bought a blade sharpener so I can reuse the dull blades. Both rotary cutters are the same size, 45.
    HI Melody, does your blade sharpener work? My LQS told me it doesn't work as well as new blades.
    My local LQS swears by it and said I would love it. I bought it recently so I haven't used it yet. Difference in stores and perspectives, I guess.

Smack dab between Dallas and Tyler, Texas
    Yep, it's very aggravating. I shake my head all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by mama's place
    Don't know where the Fiskars cutters are made but their scissors are made in China. Not much is made in the USA amy more is it? No wonder our economy is in the ditch.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast