Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Five year rule >

Five year rule

Five year rule

Old 12-16-2014, 07:58 AM
Power Poster

I have some fabrics that I bought when I started quilting in 1992. Hang on, you will either use them or something else and then the space will be available. You just know when you get rid of something that a month later you will need it.....
Old 12-16-2014, 08:25 AM

When I settled on quilting, I got rid of everything else pertaining to crafts. I have tried every craft known to man. I did keep my cross stitch things (some of them), but every thing else went. I put a couple of free ads in my local newspaper, and got lots of replies. That took care of all the fabric that I would never use. Then I gave all my ribbon and silk flowers to the school that my DGDs attended. I have never looked back and couldn't tell you about all the fabric that I gave away, but several new sewers and quilters were very happy campers. Some of my fabric is over 5 years old, and I don't have any plans to get rid of it. Some of the big box store fabric will be used for charity quilts next year. I have become a fabric snob. lol Not proud of it buy will admit it.
Sue
Old 12-16-2014, 08:44 AM

Whoa! Read your second post, Bama, and it looks like you are really crowded. I'm jealous! I'm equally crowded but I don't have all the cool equipment you do!

My advice is - if it works and you might use it someday andyou have room for it, keep it! If you'll never need to buy one again and you don't use it, dispose of it.

But for heaven's sake keep your stash - and like the other poster said, be sure to stroke it before you fold it and put away.

That said...I generally don't buy misc random stuff (except for shoes!), and I don't dispose of anything I have bought unless it is broken and can't be economically fixed. Toaster and hair drier breakdowns are big on my hitlist of breaks-every-two-years products which I hate. I am still wearing a gorgeous pair of leather boots bought at Marshalls/TJ's maybe 25 years ago and I get compliments, and all they need is soles, heels, and occasional stitch, and polish. When clothes leave my house they go to a recycling bin because they are not 'gently worn' LOL, unless they shrunk! I have kept gowns and outfits I love even if I never weigh 90LB again because...uh-oh! Because!
Old 12-16-2014, 08:56 AM
Power Poster

I have clothes that I bought at Robinson May so I wouldn't use that rule. I do try to occasionally sort thru my stash and try to purge the fabrics that I realize I will never get around to using them. I would NEVER give up my lovely collection of watercolor Hoffman. I have been slowly using them because you can't take them with you when you die unless the mortuary allows you to be buried with them.
Old 12-16-2014, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by Weezy Rider View Post
Toss scraps. No one wants them, and I won't use them.
I don't think that's true. I can't imagine throwing away all scraps. I can't remember how many quilts I've made from scraps. Lots.
Old 12-16-2014, 01:58 PM

I bought this floral print on a whim at the Paducah Quilt show in 2000. It isn't anything like my style and I had no reason to purchase it other than it spoke to me. When the tsunami and earthquake hit Japan in 2011, there were calls for comfort quilts to send to the people there. (Japan has a huge quilting culture) I made this Attic Windows quilt to send and it was absolutely perfect since the print was a kimono reproduction. So no, you can't keep something that you felt strongly about too long.
Attached Thumbnails japan-quilt-done-2.rz.jpg  
Old 12-16-2014, 06:15 PM

5 year old fabric is still a baby. you can't get rid of baby's that young. now, polyester from the 70's, yes it can go.
Old 12-16-2014, 08:25 PM

If it's fabric of any kind it stays, sometime it will be just what you need for that special project. Even the polyester double knit - makes great "pockets" for things like your friend's paintings that she wants protected to carry to an art show. Also wonderful for camping or picnic quilts.
Old 12-17-2014, 03:26 AM
Power Poster

Good grief - everything in my kitchen is at least 40 years old. My sewing machines are ALL over 5 years old and many over 50 or 100 years old and those are the ones that work after 5 years anyway... Some of my best shoes are older than that, too. My house is over 50 years old - 5 years... I think you need to look into going GREEN....
Old 12-17-2014, 03:44 AM

Wow ! This question sure brought everyone's sense on humor and fun personality...which is one of the many reasons I luv this Quilting board !