Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Flannel Blanket with Crochet Edge

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Painiacs
    I have. They are easy to do!
    Paniac sent me a couple of these for our St. Jude's Auction. They are so neat!!! She even crocheted little booties and a cap to match! Get her to tell you how its done!!! Give us a tute!!!!

I have always used two layers of flannel!

Quote Originally Posted by ncredbird
    There are several tools designed for the purpose of making the holes on the edges evenly spaced. There is the Skip Stitch blade, EdgeryDoo, Edge Perfect Blade, and the Simplicity Deluxe Rotary Cutting Blade Blanket Stitch. There may be others. If you google any of these you will find tutorials and illustrations for their use and projects to use them with and also directions for the edging patterns. In addition there are examples at Project Linus and patterns. I made several drag around projects for my grandchildren when they were little. Now they are getting big enough to start requesting quilts. There are also some leather working tools that I would think you could use for the same purpose. I know my dad had some that made evenly placed slits in leather when hit on the top with a hammer. Don't know the name of it but if you have access to something like that you may try using it instead of investing in one of the blades. Ann in TN
    I bought my rotary blade like that from Project Linus

There is one tip that I think is worth mentioning:

I take a saucer and cut around it with my rotary cutter on the corners. It is much easier to crochet the curve than trying to crochet the square corners.

I only use one layer of flannel. I jus saw some of my blankets than have been in constant use for almost two years, and they still look really good.

I do use the Skip Stitch on fleece, but on flannel, I just poke my crochet hook through the flannel as I go.

Blog Entries
    I've made many, many flannel receiving blankets with crocheted edges. They make wonderful shower gifts.

My great grandmother used to do the crocheted edges on flour sacks for gifts, usually with one corner of the sack embroidered. The pattern was lost for many years.

This sounds exactly like what she did. Thank you! It is so great to keep these ideas alive for the next generation of quilters and crocheters.

Yes, they are easy. I did three last year. Had fun doing it.

Blog Entries
    I want to make one of these too.

Quote Originally Posted by lynn7448
    Quote Originally Posted by grandma sue
    I've made quite a few of them. I just serge the edge with a narrow rolled hem then just used my crochet hook to poke the hole through the flannel. Have never had a problem with it not going through. I just eyeball the distance and it turn out well. Fun to do and new moms just love them because they are so light. And the cost is so low - just takes a little time - but it's mindless TV work. Enjoy!
    Did you make them single or double layers of flannel? That's what I thought........do my sewing and then finish while watching TV.
    I just used a single layer. It just makes a nice cover to keep drafts from the baby. I used 1 1/4 yds. which makes it a nice 45" square.

For those who have doe this could we please see some pictures?

I usually a yard and a half of Terry cloth and crochet around the folded over and stitched edges.

I have made a few dozen blankets with the crochet edge. I have a friend hemstitch the edge and that makes the each hole to crochet in a perfect distant apart. They are fun to make and the new mothers love them. Most of the ones I make are double. We also make a matching burp cloth and bib.

I just made a double layer flannel blanket, turned, pressed and tried using the skip stitch blade I received from Project Linus and it did not work well at all. I am using a fine pair of small scissors to make the hole and then doing the single crochet with the chain in between. I was real disappointed that the blade did not work, as it would have been so much faster.

No but I think it would be very pretty and Unique. That's a great idea. Hope to see pictures if you do it.
    Has anyone ever made a flannel blanket or quilt with a crochet edge for the binding?

My mom used to crochet edgings around washcloths to give as gifts. She would also crochet 2 washcloths together and then stuff them before crocheting them closed. We used them for pillows in the car because they were so "washable". She will be gone 5 years Sept. 13. Think I will do one in her memory. This was a great thread to read today; brought back very good memories of her!

Quote Originally Posted by Divokittysmom
    HOpe you post a photo! What could be more fun, quilting and crocheting!!
    Here is a pic of a flannel with crochet around the edges - it was done by a good friend - Linda (weed) she is so talented!
    Attached Images Attached Images

I make a lot of theses. I simply take 3 yards wof and fold it in half. I sew it right sides together and then turn it right side out. Then I stitch all the way around it being sure to catch the hole left open for turning it right sides out. Then I punch holes and simply crochet or double crochet all the way around it. My daughters, and DIL and various nieces and other people have really liked these blankets because they are big enough to swaddle the baby or to toss over the baby carseat when taking the baby to the vehicle. My youngest little grandson has to have his to sleep with. They make great baby gifts.

Here's one I just made with fleece. My first attempt and it turned out kind of cute. I have other patterns that I haven't tried yet. Thanks to blue10moon9 - I got the pattern book as a PIF here on the board. :)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Grandma Rose did this technique on a recieving blanket for everyone of the grandkids and great grandkids as they came along, wonderdful woman, now that she's gone each one of the little blenkets has remained with the "grown child" to use for their babies.

Blog Entries
    Has anyone ever made a flannel blanket or quilt with a crochet edge for the binding?
    I have done crochet edge on fleece blankets. If you need info on doing one let me know.

Blog Entries
    I just made a double layer flannel blanket, turned, pressed and tried using the skip stitch blade I received from Project Linus and it did not work well at all. I am using a fine pair of small scissors to make the hole and then doing the single crochet with the chain in between. I was real disappointed that the blade did not work, as it would have been so much faster.
    You need a piece of cork board or ceiling tile and an awl to punch the holes needed into the fabric.

Linus sells a marker that makes holes in the flannel or fleece for this purpose. I think it is $10, but a time saver and a good cause.

Thanks to all of your support and tips, I just completed the double layer flannel baby blanket with a crochet scalloped edge. I am really happy with it and also make two peanut shaped rag burp rags to give as well.
    I also bought 3.5 yrds of fleece to make my son (who is 6'4" tall) a throw that will also have some sort of crochet edge. Plan to give that to him for Christmas.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2