Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Flannel with cotton for blocks >

Flannel with cotton for blocks

Flannel with cotton for blocks

Old 01-12-2017, 06:40 AM

Default Flannel with cotton for blocks

I don't particularly like flannel in quilts but I promised someone last year I would make their son a Crown Royal quilt. I washed the bags twice and cut the squares out and then it sat and sat. Now I have to make the quilt so I can make quilts I like. I'm planning on using the flannel in stars, (flying geese) and since I've not sewed with flannel for eons, I'm wondering if the flannel and my regular cotton fabrics will look good together? I know that many board members use flannel regularly so is this plan of mine going to be ok? The block is just a simple star using flying geese and I will use the flannel for the 4" block in the middle and as star points. I would sew my flannel onto a 4" piece of gold/yellow cotton to get the points and then use the cotton in my sashing also. Any suggestions are welcome as I really want this quilt finished and in good shape. Thanks.
Old 01-12-2017, 06:51 AM

I would wash the flannel to make sure it wasn't going to shrink after it is all together. And I would use a good heavy flannel to match the thicker fabric weight of the Royal Crown bags.
Old 01-12-2017, 02:45 PM

I agree with sewingitalltogether. Good luck!
Old 01-12-2017, 02:55 PM
Power Poster

Crown bags along with regular cottons are fine together. You've already washed them so now go for it. You stated you have already cut your squares, I Always starch my flannel well, but before I cut so might be too late for that. Many of us use flannels and regular cottons together all the time. I love flannels and regular weave cottons together. Use a good, new, sharp needle & either starch or add a fusible stabilizer if you find they are too stretchy. My crown bag quilt wasn't too stretchy but I starched well before cutting so I don't know how it will be without the starch.