Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
? for the Flannel Experts >

? for the Flannel Experts

? for the Flannel Experts

Old 03-09-2010, 08:30 AM

Yesterday I purchased fabric for an ALL flannel baby quilt - for my FIRST grandchild :-D Have previously only made a flannel rag quilt, or used flannel for backing. Now, a book I have on flannel quilts says to use a 1/2" seam allowance due to fraying.
I prewashed the fabric, and it did fray quite a bit -- but it wasn't cheap fabric ($8.00+/yd) If I use a 1/2" seam, wouldn't I have to cut my pieces 1/2" larger to make the pattern work? (pattern is NOT from the flannel quilt book) It seems to me that once it was quilted, fraying wouldn't be an issue. What are your experiences? Thanking you in advance for your expertise :thumbup:
Old 03-09-2010, 09:46 AM

Location: Currently Mosquito (which is outside of Placerville) California

It may or may not be an issue once it is quilted. It really depends on how you quilt it. A couple of options are to serge it, or to do topstitching around each square.
Old 03-09-2010, 11:05 AM

I usually use a larger pattern with fewer pieces when quilting with flannel. I also cut my pieces with a rotary cutter with a pinking blade. I also use a larger seam allowance and longer stitch length. Just my preference. :-D

Oh, and prewash, prewash well! I pink my cut edges before washing yardage and threads are kept at a minimum. Also pewashing does not necessarily mean you have to aggetate the heck out of the fabric, I prewash fabric on the delicate cycle using the same temperature water I would wash normally.
Old 03-09-2010, 11:17 AM

I have made several flannel quilts and have always use 1.4" seam. And I have never had a problem.
Old 03-10-2010, 09:33 AM

I have used flannel alot and have alway used a 1/4 inch seam and I have never washed it first - matter of fact I am doing one now (lodge cabin) - I have never had any problem with them - after I quilt them and wash them they are so soft and everyone loves them.... I use fannel here in alaska cost 10.50 a yard or more... I work for fabric... but I have noticed that my ufo that sit for a long period of time have started to ravel --- but never had any really ravel except one a red and black check brought from joanne's fabric... good luck --
Old 03-10-2010, 09:42 AM

I use flannel a lot and use a generous 1/4 inch seam (nearly 3/8) instead of a scant 1/4 inch. I tie my flannel quilts, but if you were doing machine quilting, that would help hold them even better. I ALWAYS prewash flannel. It shrinks so much I'd be scared to not prewash.
Old 03-10-2010, 09:59 AM

I just finished a flannel quilt and you are right about the fraying. I only used 1/4 seams. My LQS said that would be fine.
Old 03-10-2010, 10:02 AM
Banned

I make flannel quilts all the time and use quarter inch seams and I have never had a problem...we wash ours all the time.
Old 03-10-2010, 02:03 PM

THANK you all so much for your input. You have given me confidence to use the 1/4" seam! I was so leary about trying to enlarge the pattern, and then forgetting to use a 1/2" seam when I sat down at the machine.....you know what they say about old dogs and new tricks! LOL