Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
flannel fabric >

flannel fabric

flannel fabric

Old 10-23-2009, 04:51 PM

I like to wash most of my fabrics before I use them. I like to see what happens after washing. I've twice had flannel pill so badly I did not put it in the quilt, glad it did not happen after I finished the quilt. This was a good piece of flannel to, pd $5.00 on sale, and the cheap stuff from Walmart never did that to me. I don't like surprises, also I do want it to shrink some when I mix with cotton so than they will shrink closer to the same amount after the quilt is finished.
Old 10-23-2009, 04:54 PM
Power Poster

I don't wash most fabrics, but I do wash flannel because it really shrinks.
Old 10-23-2009, 08:35 PM

The only fabric I wash is flannel and I throw it in the dryer. I do this for raggy flannel quilts as well. I learned the hard way with flannel. It shrinks like crazy!
Old 10-24-2009, 08:12 AM

Flannels tend to pill, fade and shrink unpredictably - cheap and expensive flannels. I wash it thoroughly at least once. I don't want to waste my time making a quilt and then have it turn out badly at the first laundering -- especially if I am selling it or giving it as a gift.
Old 10-24-2009, 08:15 AM
Power Poster

I have never washed a flannel for a rag quilt. Never heard of any problems with them, maybe I have been lucky ?
Old 10-24-2009, 01:09 PM

You never wash flannel for a Rag Time quilt until after it's sewn together. I take mine to a coin laundromat (you don't want all that lint going through your machine) and wash and dry it twice. This will fray it some, but this is one quilt that only gets better the more it's washed. Good luck!
Old 08-28-2010, 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by wvdek
I wash all of my fabric, no softener, iron, fold and put in respective drawers. That way, it is ready to pull out and start working with.

Flannel is no exception. It will shrink everytime, especially the cheaper ones. Better flannels aren't as bad, but will still shrink. Flannel is one of my favorite fabrics. The better teh fabric, the more soft and cuddly. Great for jammies, too.

In fact, the last two kits I have purchased from my LQS say to wash otherwise you will end up short and disappointed. In fact, I just washed some flannel today from Lyndhurst Studio by Janet Orfini. It is called 'Covenant Garden Trellis' and will be ironing it shortly.

Hope this helps. Which color group did you buy? Please post the quilt after it's done!!!
Old 08-28-2010, 08:05 AM
Power Poster

I wash all fabrics, especially flannel. Don't need any shrinking surprises!
Old 08-28-2010, 08:10 AM

I wash flannels only. Then, dry it on hot so the shrinking is done...I hope!