Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Flannel Question >

Flannel Question

Flannel Question

Old 11-03-2015, 09:15 AM

Default Flannel Question

If I use flannel to back a pre-washed cotton quilt top and I DON'T prewash the flannel, will it cause the front of the quilt to pull horribly out of shape or just make it look wrinkled and quilty?

Also, can I just piece a backing from NOT prewashed flannel and then wash the backing before I add it to the quilt? I don't want to wash smaller pieces of flannel before I piece them into a backing but I may have to...need expert opinions.
Old 11-03-2015, 09:34 AM

I think I would piece the backing of flannel first,, make it a little larger to allow for shrinkage, then wash & dry it before I quilted it together. I would also sew a larger seam than 1/4.
Old 11-03-2015, 09:59 AM
Power Poster

I think if you piece first and then wash the backing, you will get a lot of unwanted distortion if the flannel shrinks. Not all flannel shrinks, and different flannels shrink in different amounts in different directions.

I would actually recommend piecing the flannel back and Not pre washing IF you will be using a moderate amount of quilting. Quilting will prevent fabrics from shrinking too unevenly, as the batting prevents any one piece from shrinking too much. However this won't work if quilting lines are too far apart. I would estimate you want quilting lines no more than 3" or so apart for an unwashed flannel batting.
Old 11-03-2015, 10:08 AM

Since I use flannel a lot I know it shrinks a lot. When I buy it, I buy 1/2 yard extra and sometimes that is barely enough. Many people say the quilting stops a lot of the shrinkage, I don't know how. And I buy quality flannel and it still shrinks quite a bit. So you could piece the top, fold over the edges like a hem, baste it down, and then wash it and dry it. But I would more than likely just wash the pieces I plan to use on a delicate setting using hot water, and dry them.
Old 11-03-2015, 11:04 AM
Power Poster

If your pieces of flannel aren't really tiny it should be fine to wash them, delicate cycle, hot water. Flannel shrinks and often bleeds as well, so I can't see anything good come out of not washing it. I wash small scraps all the time when I pick them up at the guild's free table. Some of them ravel, but I just clip off those threads.
Old 11-03-2015, 02:06 PM
Power Poster

I always wash the flannel especially for a backing. Flannel can shrink much more than cotton will.
Old 11-03-2015, 02:51 PM

I agree, I would wash the flannel before piecing, gently if they are small, awkward pieces and then put together for your backing. Flannel is a shrinker!
Old 11-03-2015, 02:53 PM

My gut feeling would be to pre wash flannel backing first. For me it has always shrunk some , more than a cotton would. I never pre wash top fabric. I am making a top now that is all flannel and dark colors. I am thinking of a cotton for the backing as its pretty heavy already.
Old 11-03-2015, 05:19 PM

Piece, preferably with a serger, before washing. And watch the lengthwise grain of fabric! Flannel shrinks more on the crosswise grain than lenghtwise.
Old 11-04-2015, 03:24 PM

I would prewash the flannel. Based on my experience -- all flannel shrinks and most flannels shrink at different rates (even within the same brand) I agree with buying an extra half yard (at least). I have had flannel that started out 42" wide go down to 37" after being washed -- and don't get me started about how the length shrinks. I have had shop owners claim their high end flannel does not shrink and find it hard to believe when I show them proof.