Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
flannel quilt binding >

flannel quilt binding

flannel quilt binding

Old 03-09-2019, 04:52 AM

Default flannel quilt binding

I'm hand quilting a flannel quilt with warm & natural batting. I was planning on using flannel for the binding. But yesterday at a guild mtg, someone suggested using cotton fabric for the binding, as she thought the flannel might be too thick. Since this throw is being made with the leftovers from a rag quilt I made 2 winters ago, I don't have anything more than scraps left now and I'd have to make a run to Joann's for the flannel. Has anyone bound a flannel quilt with quilting cotton and how does it hold up?
Old 03-09-2019, 04:59 AM
Power Poster

Many people who make flannel quilts Always use regular cotton for their binding. Some insists regular cotton holds up better. I’ve done it both ways and have not found one held up better than the other. I’m about the bind a gift quilt with flannel.
Old 03-09-2019, 05:02 AM
Power Poster

I have done both. I find the regular cotton is more "user friendly" than flannel when it comes to binding (and turned applique!). If your are out of flannel other than scraps, and I was in your position, I would choose a regular cotton that compliments the quilt from stash and not make a special trip/purchase for more flannel. I have not noticed a difference in wear between flannel and cotton but I have noticed that a bias cut binding wears much better than straight of grain cut binding. Additionally one of my most used quilts I bound in flannel and this quilt is at least 10 years old (probably older) and what I have noticed is the "nap" has worn off the flannel so it has the appearance of a regular quilting cotton now. Finally, if you are doing a standard 1/4" binding so little of the fabric shows most won't even notice that the binding is not made of flannel.
Old 03-09-2019, 05:21 AM

I would never have thought of binding with flannel. It could work, but my new mantra is, "Use what you have." To a certain point that works. Try a scrap that you have left and make it into a binding. See how it would work on another scrap and then you'll have your answer.
Old 03-09-2019, 06:56 AM

I always bind my flannel quilts with flannel. I just cut the strips a little wider and sew a wider seam. They hold up as well as cotton does, in my opinion and I wash them regularly. When I am short of flannel for binding, I join all the scraps I need until I have enough to fit the quilt. I think it makes the quilt look very interesting.
Old 03-09-2019, 07:16 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by grammyjo View Post
...........Since this throw is being made with the leftovers from a rag quilt I made 2 winters ago, I don't have anything more than scraps left now.............
Another thought .... not knowing how big your scraps are ......

If they are large enough, what about doing a scrappy binding?
They can be very effective on some quilts.
But if your pieces are too small, yes, back to the other options already being discussed.
Old 03-09-2019, 07:22 AM

I'm with several others on the thread. I have used flannel for the binding and cut it wider. I, too, like a scrappy binding. Good luck on your decision.
Old 03-09-2019, 09:36 AM

I bind flannel quilts with flannel binding. Just cut your strips a bit wider. I use 2 1/4 inch binding strips for regular cotton so I cut flannel 2 1/2 inches.