Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Flannel Quilt Patterns >

Flannel Quilt Patterns

Flannel Quilt Patterns

Old 08-27-2021, 08:45 AM

I have only made a single flannel quilt. The pattern was that of a string quilt and then cut as a rag quilt. It came out very pretty. But working with flannel was not my thing. My sister, whom I gave it to, loves it that was all that matter.
Old 08-27-2021, 05:46 PM

Bonnie Hunter has several free patterns. Bricks and Stepping Stones or Dancing Nine Patches would work well in flannel, I think.

I don't normally wash fabric before using it, but I definitely do with flannel. There are also wide variations in quality. Big box store flannels tend to pill and get scratchy. I'd look for a good sale elsewhere. The last ones I bought were from Hancocks of Paducah. Very heavy and vey soft.
Old 09-01-2021, 02:44 PM

This is my first pandemic quilt (a sanity quilt) and it was made from flannel that I had stashed away some 20 years ago. It developed as I stitched - I started by appliqueing the hearts because a bunch of them were already cut out (from way back when) and that made me happy enough to want to turn them into something more than random blocks, hence the checkerboard setting. I realized I didn't have enough fabric for a plain backing so I decided to piece a second quilt top out of more of that stash (with a few extra pieces I'd found at that point in another box) and make it reversible. You'll notice I didn't really plan that part - I just made it and trimmed it as necessary. The batting is 100% cotton (also from 20 years ago) and I pieced the borders and binding with leftovers. I guess I could have posted this in the fabric moratorium thread, too! It was going to be a lap quilt but it just grew and grew. Now it fits my queen sized bed (but the light is better in this room). It's insanely heavy but one of the most comforting things to snuggle under. It hasn't seen enough use yet to be washed - I think I'm going to need to take it to a laundromat as I'm quite sure my little machine won't be able to handle its weight. Edit: I did stitch in the ditch vertically and horizontally, then also went through the solid squares on the diagonal. The hearts are tacked (tied) in the middle with embroidery floss. The hand/machine stitching you see on the hearts only goes through the top two layers.

My advice: get a good vacuum attachment (one of those tiny hose adapters) if you're going to spend the better part of three months sewing through flannel! The amount of lint that collects under the sewing plate (and on the floor around you) is astonishing. Your sewing machine will appreciate the TLC.
Attached Thumbnails img_6538.jpg   img_6540.jpg  

Last edited by Gemm; 09-01-2021 at 02:48 PM.
Old 09-02-2021, 01:36 AM

Gemm! Your work is fabulous!
Old 09-02-2021, 04:00 PM
Power Poster

This quilt is all flannel. I make lots of flannel quilts- this one really appealed to many of my family members- my sister won out.
Attached Thumbnails 8ce5a37f-6ac7-488f-9549-c9582346e3c4.jpeg  
Old 09-02-2021, 06:51 PM

ckcowl - I love that one! how did working with non-rectangular pieces work? It is so hard to get flannel to keep its shape. I'm sure the crazy-quilt style made it a bit easier since you didn't have to match up with other blocks, but still. I take my hat off to you (and am frankly envious of your flannel stash)!
Old 09-04-2021, 09:17 AM

bkay - that is a great pattern and you have me thinking maybe I have just enough leftovers to swing a lap quilt version out of my stash. It's been added to my ideas list. Thanks for sharing!
Old 09-06-2021, 06:54 AM

Disappearing Nine Patch variations may work really well for you too!