Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
flannel quilting >

flannel quilting

flannel quilting

Old 01-04-2011, 05:14 PM

I just finished two lap quilts with a fleece front and a flannel back. I included batting and they are really warm. I was aiming for warmth and durability. They turned out great.
Old 01-04-2011, 05:16 PM
Power Poster

Yea I love flannels especially on the back of quilts for warmth. Just make sure you wash it first for shrinkage.
Old 01-04-2011, 05:17 PM

I have read that you may need to wash and dry 2 or even 3 times before using because the shrinkage is so great. Maybe it would not be a problem if it's flannel on both sides, but I'd be very careful if you have cotton on the front and a flannel backing...different shrinkage. Good luck!
Old 01-04-2011, 05:20 PM

I just finished 2 flannel quilts and they came out very nice. I didn't use any special methods - just put them together as usual.
Old 01-04-2011, 05:51 PM

I think you can get into a debate about wash/no wash that would last for hours. It is a personal preference. I prefer to "not". I just completed two large Brickyard flannel quilts for Christmas giving. I did not wash either of them until after they had been completed. I used quilter's flannel (the expensive stuff) for the front and back of the bricks and JoAnn's marble pattern ($2.49/yd) for the batting. After washing/drying in a laundromat both quilts looked great and with 1/2" seams ragged at 1/4" - they were full and fluffy. I used to hate flannel, but not any more .... now don't get me started on trying to use a flannel panel print for the center of a baby quilt. UGH!
Old 01-04-2011, 06:08 PM

I don't for rag quilts.
Old 01-04-2011, 06:09 PM

Two layers of flannel are nice and warm. I have done this with no batting.
Old 01-04-2011, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by Maia B
I notice a big difference in piecing accuracy when I piece flannel with dual feed (built-in on my machine, but you could use a walking foot) and without. Without, my pieces don't line up well at all.
I have an old Pfaff 1222E that l use when piecing flannel quilts. All the other machines in the herd can't do that without a walking foot.
Old 01-04-2011, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by Gabrielle's Mimi
I have read that you may need to wash and dry 2 or even 3 times before using because the shrinkage is so great. Maybe it would not be a problem if it's flannel on both sides, but I'd be very careful if you have cotton on the front and a flannel backing...different shrinkage. Good luck!
I wash flannel 2-3 times in hot water and dry on hot.
Old 01-04-2011, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by jodimarie
WASH AND DRY then iron with sizing BEFORE you begin to cut out your blocks......flannel is great stuff but it shrinks like crazy!!! the addition of the sizing while you iron will help to add body to the fabric....I use sizing whenever I press or iron any fabric. buy it at WalMart for less than a dollar a can....doesn't gunk up your iron either!

jodi in leavenworth
Are you speaking of magic sizing?