Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Flannel sheet for batting

Blog Entries
    I spent $0 on my Tumbling Blocks quilt. Now keeping in the same mode, what about using a flannel sheet for the batting? I think I have heard of it done, but don't know if it is a good idea. I can buy batting, I'm just keeping the theme going. Also, am going to use up large pieces of material pieced together for the backing.
    Rita

That would work. I have some vintage quilts that have old blankets used as batting. I have even heard of old quilts used for batting. I would want to hand quilt that.

Go for it, keep the theme.

I'm going to use flannel as the batting for a quilt for my DGD. It won't be as heavy as using regular batting but it should work just fine. Also, it doesn't have to be quilted as closely as using batting. The flannel won't shift or bunch up.

I have used those polyester blankets that you can get really cheap. I like a heavier quilt and this is perfect. :0)

Flannel works well, just be sure to wash in hot and dry in hot to get the shrinkage taken care of before sandwiching. I like using it for table runner or toppers. Bulk isn't needed there.

Blog Entries
    Thanks to all of you for the help. When I ask a question and you reply, I feel so good I could almost cry.
    Thanks again.
    Rita

I see lots and lots of flannel sheets and pillow cases at our local Goodwill in excellent condition. I think I will follow your lead and try using one as batting. Thanks for the idea!

Jenni

PS Don't cry...we love you! hehe

Blog Entries
    I love the theme for this quilt!! My oldest DD wants a quilt with just flannel for the batting to keep it lighter :D:D:D

I use flannel as batting for most of my quilts. I like the way it looks and it sews up really nice with out the bulk of batting and they are nice and warm.

Cyn
    Blog Entries
    I love using flannel as it makes the quilt all snuggly and comfy!

Blog Entries
    Should be fine as long as it is washed and dried.

I think that is about all they had for the vintage quilts. look how long they last!!

Blog Entries
    i've used lots of flannel for batting, works great, just wash it once before using it, if it's a sheet thats been used, washed over & over you are already good to go :thumbup:

This is just my opinion, but with todays cost of everything and a lot of us who are on a limited income, you cannot go wrong with flannel. It is snuggly warm, easy to sew, and you can find lots of it at any goodwill, thrift, or yard sale. I choose flannel over the traditional batting anytime. I just like it alot. Old used wool army blankets make a good batting too, and is sooooooooo warm. But with anything you buy used, be sure to clean it, even if it already looks and smells clean. Granny always use to say an ounce of caution is worth a pound of cure. Happy sewing everyone:-)

Blog Entries
    in all my quilts i use a thin blanket for the batting .....an for the back ..on most of them i use a sheet .....

I've put flannel in place mats and a couple throw type quilts that will get rough wear. It works fine, but be sure to wash it in hot water and dry in a hot dryer first so all the shrinkage is taken care of.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Ritacarl
    I spent $0 on my Tumbling Blocks quilt. Now keeping in the same mode, what about using a flannel sheet for the batting? I think I have heard of it done, but don't know if it is a good idea. I can buy batting, I'm just keeping the theme going. Also, am going to use up large pieces of material pieced together for the backing.
    Rita
    I used a Ralph Lauren red flannel sheet as the back many years ago in a yellow, white and red Jacob's Ladder lap that I made for my Mom.
    No batt, washed it many times before using.
    She loved it.
    My granddaughter still uses it when she visits New Hampshire.

Have you ever used flannel for backing with no batting in between?

My friend would use old blankets, flannel, etc for batting in her quilts. Turned out very nice.

Just make sure you wash the flannel first---shrinkage! Mom used to use old blankets for batting all the time. I've even seen her cut the worn parts out and piece the "good" sections together to make battings. The non printed feed sacks were often used for batting, old sheets, old blankets, worn out quilts, basically anything to make the quilt thicker and warmer. I love the "green" quilting ideas. I often shop at Goodwill. Top sheets don't get the wear and tear that bottom sheets do and often make wonderful backings, blocks or lightwieght battings.

Blog Entries
    I used a flannel blanket for a bargello QAYG recently. The pattern called for it because some of the strips finished at only 1/4" wide and anything thicker would have not allowed the pattern to show as well. It worked great.
    For a quilt, it would work well also, just remember that it would not be as "fluffy" as one with batting.

In the old days, our foremothers did NOT have batting!! So they used what they had. Some quilts didn't even HAVE batting --- usually for climates that got hot.

I think I'll try flannel on my next scrappy quilt!!! I KNOW I plan on doing a flannel backing!

Quote Originally Posted by Maureen
    Have you ever used flannel for backing with no batting in between?
    I made one of these in soft baby print for grandson born in Phoenix in the summer! It was perfect. Protected him from AC but could be thrown in the bag easily when not needed.

Your right, flannel makes a wonderful batting, particularly for throws. We put three pieces of flannel together and if is great.

Quote Originally Posted by Ritacarl
    Rita
    Flannel works just like a low loft cotton batting. In fact if I see a good quality flannel sheet at the thrift shop I snap it up, usually for a dollar or two. I use them all the time in all kinds of projects, as for the pieced backs....I do that all the time, usually I try to incorporate left overs from the top...it is like getting two quilts for the price of one. It adds fun to scrappy and kids love the idea.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast