Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Flannel >

Flannel

Flannel

Old 08-05-2019, 09:19 AM

Default Flannel

I recently finished a quilt for my daughter with a flannel back. It’s the first time I’ve backed with flannel and I got it at Joann’s. I’m thinking of making two more quilts using the same pattern for my nephews. Is there a higher quality or better brand of flannel I should be using?? Anyone have a favorite?
Old 08-05-2019, 09:22 AM

There some very nice and pricey flannels out there. I typically don't use flannel because I have pets and it attracts the pet hair like crazy, but I will do donation quilts with it. Actually, the next quilt I will be quilting down has a flannel back. Don't remember the maker, but it is a high quality garment flannel. I'll also be doing the binding with the same flannel as the back, while I know I've done it in the past it is so long ago that I don't remember...

For all flannel my basic advice is wash it at least on medium if not hot with a color catcher so you can see if it is pretty stable or how much dye comes out.
Old 08-05-2019, 09:25 AM

Is the garment flannel in the fabric store of a higher quality than what is sold with the quilting fabrics ???
Old 08-05-2019, 09:30 AM
Power Poster

Flannel does come in various weights - from almost see-through to the chamois type of flannels used in Eddie Bauer shirts (and some other brands).

Shrinkage and pilling also vary from almost none to a lot.

I don't know brands, though.
Old 08-05-2019, 09:40 AM

I use flannels from Joann’s quite a bit for backing. Some are better quality than others. If you can find “quilters flannel “ it is a heavier piece and seems to handle much better
Old 08-05-2019, 09:40 AM
Power Poster

There is an amazing difference in quality of flannels. By far the nicest, softest, thickest flannel I have ever worked with is Moda flannel, followed very closely by the flannel out of Maywood Studios and Northcott flannels. No pilling and minimal shrinkage (considering it is flannel which tends to shrink a lot) from these brands. I won't hesitate to buy flannel on line from these 3. I have gotten some others on line that were perfectly acceptable as well but didn't have near the hand that Moda, Maywood and Northcott have. And I have had varying degrees of pilling with other brands. So I try to stick with these 3.
Old 08-05-2019, 09:48 AM
Power Poster

I tested the flannel at Joann's that they have marked very low on black Friday. It barely shrank or wrinkled and have not noticed pilling. i will always buy my flannel there.
Old 08-05-2019, 10:17 AM
Power Poster

I use flannel A Lot! I love the Moda Woolies flannels and Benartex double sided flannel. Both are nice to work with, minimal lint or shrinkage. They are a tighter weave than the lesser ( Joanne’s) flannels. I have bought many flannels from fabric.com too. Look for double sided flannels ( they are heavier, brushed on both sides) I’ve never had one bleed and the shrinkage isn’t any more than regular cottons
Old 08-05-2019, 10:24 AM

I love to mix some flannels with my quilting cottons in pieced quilts. The difference in the texture adds interest.

I've also had good luck with the flannels from Joanns, although I do check to see how tightly woven they are. Some flannels are so loosely woven that they fray too much to be usable.
Old 08-05-2019, 01:32 PM

And dry it in the dryer so that it shrinks before you back the quilt.

I use flannel sheets, too. But you have to be careful of the quality. We have flannel sheets that we have used for about 8 years that look great. However, the lower quality sheets don't stand up nearly as well.

Last edited by cathyvv; 08-05-2019 at 01:36 PM.