Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: flat-headed pins

Ok, I ordered them from CT. Based on your replies, I think I will like them. Thanks!

Blog Entries
    i love them. use others, but especially when paper piecing i start off using them. a lot of times, i just hold the material tho.

I've never used them but with all the positive comments here I'm getting some. Thanks everyone.
    Fabric is like money, no matter how much you have it's never enough.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I use only the flat head/flower pins. They are not all the same though. THe Dritz one, are NOT very sharp. Nor are the Fons & Porter or Singer pins. I prefer Bohin or Collins.

I love my flat head pins. Since they are thinner they penetrate the fabric easier. I also think that the flat larger head makes them easier to remove prior to sewing over them. If you do sew over them I have never had a problem with the machine. If I pick up one of my round head pins I will usually put it back and get a flat head.

Blog Entries
    I love them and use them most of the time. I ran into a great sale of 100 pins for $3 at Wal-mart. For what ever reason they had a discontinued stamp on them. But Walmart still has them but the cost is a little higher.
    The Future is Now!

Jim
    I ONLY use flat head pins....tried the others now I use the best...lol
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort :lol:

SEW
    I am a fan of the flat headed pins, too! Had an occasion to use my former favorite pins and it felt like I was trying to push a nail through my fabric!

I do like the flat top pins; however, my fave is still the yellow-ball quilting pins.

Love them. Use less and you can see them if you drop one.

I like them as they don't get in the way of the ruler when you need to lay it on top of a pin. Like in paper piecing,( i use one, for the first seam only).
    After 2 years with the same signature I have been requested to remove it. Bye

I love them. I even mark numbers on them with a Sharpie to keep track of my rows and columns as I am sewing blocks together.

Blog Entries
    I love my flat-head pins--as others have said, they don't bunch the fabric as you sew, which is pretty important, as I have learned the hard way.
    Wrinkles are just antique smiles!

I also love the flat head pins
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/Upnorthcrafter

j
    I only use the ones with butterflys and arrows. Love them. - J

I love the flower head pins for general use. I use the no melt ones (they look like a button) when I know I will be pressing.

Due to my arthritis I use them a lot. However, I don't use them when sewing but use only a few short applique pins then. The flat head pins seemed thicker and I didn't like sewing with them as I wanted more precision. So, I just take a bit more time. Oh well.

ali
    Have fun quilting! If it isn't fun, you will miss a lot.
    ali

Quote Originally Posted by jaciqltznok View Post
    I use only the flat head/flower pins. They are not all the same though. THe Dritz one, are NOT very sharp. Nor are the Fons & Porter or Singer pins. I prefer Bohin or Collins.
    So far, I haven't had a problem with my Dritz pins but I think they melt - so will be replaced. (There are Dritz flower heads marked "no melt" technology. I didn't buy those.)

I returned those Fons and Porter pins I mentioned in another thread that I had to push and shove through the fabric. (100 pins purchased in a tin from Joann's.) They took them back - no questions asked.

I love my Fons and Porter flat head pins...In fact when I bought them it was because I loved the little tin they came in....Then after using them,,,I fell in love !!!! I will be on the look out for the other brands now !!!! Do they come in pretty tins ??? LOL
    Buzzy Bee

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzy Bee View Post
    I love my Fons and Porter flat head pins...In fact when I bought them it was because I loved the little tin they came in....Then after using them,,,I fell in love !!!! I will be on the look out for the other brands now !!!! Do they come in pretty tins ??? LOL
    Buzzy, you're lucky because others have mentioned problems with the Fons and Porter pins. One member said that they produce different quality pins for different outlets, so maybe Joann's doesn't carry the premier pins.

I also bought them because I loved the tin.

I use mine all the time.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cmw0829 View Post
    Well, I suppose I answered my own dilemna. Dritz has multi-colored flower head pins advertized as "no melt" whereas there is no such notation on the yellow flower head pins. Think I'll do a test tonight!

Make sure they're no melt or at very least heat resistant.

This is why I only use "glass head pins" . I learned that lesson a long time ago. The glass head pins are long and fine as well and I can feel them, so I seldom leave one in my sewing. One other thing that concerns me is that the flat head could easily come off the pin and send the top of the pin through my finger.
    Aurora

"A dying culture invariably exhibits personal rudeness. Bad manners. Lack of consideration for others in minor matters. A loss of politeness, of gentle manners, is more significant than is a riot." -Robert A. Heinlein

I'm so happy to hear all this positive feedback....they're on my shopping list now!
    Some things have to be believed to be seen. -Ralph Hodgson-

I use them a lot and love them.

I love my flathead pins. Have used them for years.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast