Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Flat rate envelope fabric guideline >

Flat rate envelope fabric guideline

Flat rate envelope fabric guideline

Old 07-23-2010, 09:52 AM

Location: Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)

We've found that we can fit 8 yards of regular cotton fabric into a flat-rate envelope; about half as much if it's flannel.

We have had to argue with our local Post Office about our "stuffed" envelopes, and the issue of the tape. We do put one continuous strip of tape over the closing, because we don't trust the adhesive. We also make sure that the tape goes over the tabs (the ones you use to pull the envelope open)... just to make sure that they do not snag on any of the PO's machinery. These envelopes do take a beating enroute! Especially on international shipments.
Old 07-23-2010, 10:09 AM

Well I recd a jelly roll and two charm packs just today in an envelope. No problems getting here and the contents were fine. I also saw the same information in an email from an online store.
Old 07-23-2010, 10:18 AM

I got a FRE about six months ago with 27 fat quarters in it! TWENTY SEVEN!!!! And I did not have to pay any extra shipping!
Old 07-23-2010, 10:23 AM

I've received at least five punctured FRE's that had been stuffed with fabric. In every case, the only thing that saved the contents from damage was the plastic bag the shipper had used inside the envelope as protection from water. Those envelopes run the gauntlet and the fuller they are the higher the risk of puncture. My tiny little PO will let you wrap CLEAR packing tape all over any package like a cocoon!! :D
Old 07-23-2010, 01:15 PM

I got a package from Joanns fabrics that had 4 yards in it. It was folded nice and tight and fit in a FRE,
Old 07-23-2010, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by ghostrider
I've received at least five punctured FRE's that had been stuffed with fabric. In every case, the only thing that saved the contents from damage was the plastic bag the shipper had used inside the envelope as protection from water. Those envelopes run the gauntlet and the fuller they are the higher the risk of puncture. My tiny little PO will let you wrap CLEAR packing tape all over any package like a cocoon!! :D
Well that brings up another point.
I have had 2 packages in the last 2 months that have been destroyed. one just last week . It was a small order under $20
but all the PO sent me back was my return address and the first name and street numbers of the buyer.
It took me 2 days to figure out the buyer and then I had to replace the goods.
I even tape the corners of the envelopes so they don't get stuck in the machines but it still happens.
So I guess I will ship in larger envelopes even if it costs more.
That way I have done all I can to insure safe delivery.
Because purchasing insurance increases the shipping charges also
Old 07-23-2010, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by mlaceruby
I don't know about that??
a jelly roll is 2 1/2" thick. my PO wont let me mail in the flat rate cardboard envelopes with it hoved up.has to be uniform thickness.
one PO wouldn't even let me ship in one if I reinforced the seal with tape.
I always err on the side of caution as once I had a package that arrived to the buyer with postage due because of this
The package you sent me arrived just fine. It was two sets of hst pieces so it was enough for 24 blocks. Not only did they arrive in great shape but, LISTEN UP EVERYONE, they were wonderfully cut and beautiful fabrics.
Old 07-23-2010, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by mlaceruby
I don't know about that??
a jelly roll is 2 1/2" thick. my PO wont let me mail in the flat rate cardboard envelopes with it hoved up.has to be uniform thickness.
one PO wouldn't even let me ship in one if I reinforced the seal with tape.
I always err on the side of caution as once I had a package that arrived to the buyer with postage due because of this
If the buyer doesn't mind, wouldn't it be easier if you unroll and fold the jelly roll instead? I'd much rather have mine flat if it reduced the shipping cost. Just a thought. :)
Old 07-23-2010, 05:26 PM

that is an idea but I am shipping mine in my own envelope for less than the cost of the FRE
I will just go 1st class not priority mail
Old 07-23-2010, 05:36 PM

I guess I have gotten away from the main idea of this thread.
Sorry if I have turned it into a #$*(#$ session!
It was not my intent but I get a little defensive when shipping is brought up.
We all want to save money in this economy but with so many small business closing, shipped is the only way for many to get items from quilting needs to appliances.
and I think that sometimes we lose sight of the true cost of driving say 30 minutes to a quilt shop. only to find they don't have what we need.
with gas here at $2.75/gal that is pretty steep "shipping" if I only get a FQ or a yd of fabric