Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
flat sheets >

flat sheets

flat sheets

Old 01-22-2015, 08:21 AM

I have used flann.el sheets as backing but the regular sheets, especially the lower thread count are great as foundation fabric. I have no plans of putting my quilts into a show for judging - a sheet back would definitely get your NO points with the judges but for giving them to family and friends we all have to stretch our money
Old 01-22-2015, 08:32 AM

I use whatever is left over, sometimes as bindings, sometimes in blocks, small pieces left are either put in the scrap bag or in the pet bed bag. If the sheet has a top "border", then I'll either use in a border or a block of some kind.
Old 01-22-2015, 08:32 AM
Power Poster

Picked up some sheets the other day at an estate sale. Had one small twin size with Battenburg Lace trim. Not sure how or when I'll use it but put it back for safe keeping. DOn't see too much with that type trim. Across top and edges. $5. I pick up BAttenburg when I can. Great to add for trim. Sometimes if you like the trim at the top of the sheet. You can cut in half/? and add to the quilt. Just gives an extra dimension. I like to take the elastic out of the fitted sheets.
Old 01-22-2015, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by Jeanne S View Post
I usually cut off all the hemmed edges of the sheet now. When I first bought sheets to use as backing I picked out all the hem stitching and iron it flat--it did give me more fabric--but I decided it wasn't worth the time to do that!
I did that ONCE!
Old 01-24-2015, 04:48 AM

I cut off the bottom seam and the selvedges from the sides. If it is a cotton sheet I cut off the top on the sheet side right close to the hem and use them for hanging sleeves. Measure, tuck in the ends and you have a ready made sleeve.
Old 01-24-2015, 05:21 AM

Originally Posted by lclang View Post
I cut off the bottom seam and the selvedges from the sides. If it is a cotton sheet I cut off the top on the sheet side right close to the hem and use them for hanging sleeves. Measure, tuck in the ends and you have a ready made sleeve.
That is a great idea!
Old 01-24-2015, 05:44 AM

Jeanne49 mentioned not using sheets on quilts for show but guess what? If you use a sheet it is very unlikely the judge or anyone else will ever know. I have been complimented on my backings many times by judges and other quilters and they have been sheets! I think they probably thought that they were wide quilting fabric backs. I think that using sheets is just a "quilter bias" and it shouldn't be an issue. If I need the size, I open the hems of my sheets and if I don't, I cut them off.
Old 01-24-2015, 06:35 AM

I too sit with my friendly seam ripper, and take out all the sitching...many are chain stitched....so it doesn't take log...then I press all the folds and creases out...I've used some higher thread count sheets...as well as some higher thread count backing fabric...new needle...and take it slow!
Old 01-24-2015, 07:02 AM

Good thought. I've only used a sheet for a backing once. It was my very first quilt (queen size) and hand quilted. What a pain! I had to use one of those little round thingies to pull my needle out on every stitch (yes queen size). Then everyone told me sheets are not for quilts. I guess I figured that out on my own. But now that I'm machine quilting I may try a sheet for the backing again. Thanks girls for weighing in on this!
Old 01-24-2015, 08:28 AM

I use sheets for backing and they look great. Many times, Ill find, "almost new," used ones at the thrift store for just a couple of dollars. I trim them off and keep the larger scraps for another project.

~ Cindy