Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Flattening a rotary mat

I put my vote for the green Olfa mat! I have, um, 1 big one that lives on my coffee table, 2 mediums - one lives on my sewing table, partially under my machine - it's actually the first one I ever bought, about 15 yrs old & cracked on one corner, but I can trim stuff on the other end ;-) - the other medium lives to travel to class with me, in my rolly cart, one small one, for paper piece trimming & one of the ones that rotate around - currently also on the coffee table! LOL (Also have a rather large collection of rotary cutters...have bought a couple on sale as they were cheaper than buying a blade alone!)
    sue
    :D

Here is an idea that has been passed around our quilt guild: Take your warped mat to Kinko's and have them put it through the machine press used (ordinarily) for attaching a poster to a posterboard. The machine heats to 200 degrees and draws a vacuum. Some one actually tried this and it worked and saved the cost of a new mat. Kinko's charged $8 for a large mat and $5 for a small one.

Boo
    What a wonderful tip! Thank you for sharing that information and welcome to our forum.

Thank you, I have been reading for a while and have enjoyed and used tips left by others here.

I'd left mine in a hot car - a brand new one - and flattened it by putting it on a sidewalk in the hot sun (summertime) with several large sheets of plexiglass over it and weighted down with large flower pots. It did the trick! Now I keep my mat under a throw rug (the throw rug is on carpeting) and it stays nice and flat.

bj
    The ones I have are blue and are called duraheal. I've had good success with them. I keep one by the sewing machine and one on my cutting table. I've been using them for about 4 years with no problems.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2