Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: flax seed fiberfill

If you are near a feed or pet food store, shelled field corn will serve the same purpose and is lots less expensive, or at least it used to be.
    Make the bags and fill with the shelled hard corn and then microwave them for 3-4 minutes and use for warming bags for your feet, back or wherever. My cats and little dog love them also when it is cold out :? !
    Have used them for several years. When I heat them too long, it just smells like popcorn! :D

I store my rice filled neckbag in the deepfreeze, there's no chance of any bugs living in there (I hope!) When I want it heated it doesn't take much extra time in the microwave, I don't find the faint smell unpleasant, I'm so enjoying the heat on my neck.

Quote Originally Posted by sew4fun
    Okay, the flax seed they have at WalMart is called milled flax seed. Not sure what that means. It is $1.87 for 12 ounces. So sort of pricy.
    Milled means that it was ground or hulled (had hulls removed) by a machine while at the mill. You are right, that does sound pricey for flaxseed. I buy mine from Fred Myers, a grocery store/department store all rolled up into one. They were doing the super store idea decades before it became popular. They have organic flaxseed in bulk. If I had to guess, I would say it isn't milled because I have to check it over pretty carefully. I pull out small bits of flaxseed stems and small (micro-small) rocks. I've heard Costco will sometimes carry it but ours just opened here and I haven't seen it yet. When I do, I plan to buy a lot! WinCo also carries flax seed in bulk. And I haven't tried it but I'm guessing if you Google 'flaxseed suppliers' you will find several on-line sites that will sell it to you.

I must admit I am curious. I've never heard of using flaxseed instead of rice. I am going to have to make one of these and I think I'll give the flaxseed a try, especially if there is no odor. I love the smell of rice but I work in a Chinese Restaurant and I eat rice almost every day of the week. I think a neckbag out of rice would only cause me to be hungry. :lol: The flaxseed might work better for me. Is there a difference in the comfort factor over the rice?
    Piece ~ Tiffany

If any of you have sold these neck bags, how much have you sold them for?

I have made them and sold them for $2-$4 depending on size. They were filled with rice and I added wintergreen or orange scent on a cotton ball put inside the bag. I am going to try getting the flax and mixing with the rice and also going to look for the buckwheat. I did not make any this year as it seemed the market had been saturated where we sold them. If I used the flax exclusively I would charge a bit more as the flax costs more than the rice.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2