Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fleece for batting >

Fleece for batting

Fleece for batting

Old 03-11-2013, 08:18 AM

Default Fleece for batting

I was folding some fleece blankets to put them away and got to thinking about using fleece for batting. I have used fleece as backing on quilts and it worked very well. The quilts are warm and soft. I want to make some utility quilts to take camping in our new travel trailer and hated to use up my good cotton batting. More than likely these quilts will be used for everything from sitting by the campfire to picnic blankets.

Any ideas on whether or not it would work to use fleece as batting? Or should I just make the top and use no batting and fleece only as the backing?
Old 03-11-2013, 08:21 AM

I think fleece would work well, as long as you used a solid color that won't show through the fabric. You wouldn't have to stitch real close, so quilting could be fast and simple. It won't fall apart in the wash. And you know it's warm! Perfect solution.
Old 03-11-2013, 08:49 AM

Fleece should work wonderfully. It's lightweight, plus it wouldn't retain moisture like a cotton batt might. I would use it as the backing and in place of a batt. Have only done a small project like this but was very happy with the results.
Old 03-11-2013, 09:05 AM

I've used it many times. The thin fleece is great for a small childs' quilt as it is soooo lightweight (easy to drag around and be loved to tatters) and makes the quilt feel softer. The thicker fleece works nicely, too, and gives the quilt a slightly puffier, softer feel than 'regular' batting.

I've also use the cheap blankets sold by WM for batting. I think that would make a great batting for a utility quilt, too. But it makes the quilt very heavy - and warm.
Old 03-11-2013, 09:28 AM

Thanks for the replies!! I was hoping others had used it as batting before. I am sure the grands will drag the quilts all over the campground this summer.

Cathyvv, what kind of blankets did you find at WM? I tried using a cheapy blanket but didn't like it after it was quilted. The blanket made the quilt very heavy and it doesn't drape at all.
Old 03-11-2013, 09:46 AM

I would make the top and back with fleece with not batting. My friends have done that and the quilts are lightweight but warm. It works!
Old 03-11-2013, 08:48 PM

My daughter made a car throw from denim and used fleece as a batting and flannel on the back. It turned out lovely and was light to handle and stayed on the seat well.
Old 03-17-2013, 01:34 PM

I am sure the fleece would work great as batting. Using it between the outer fabrics would cut down immensely on the amount of leaves/grass/stuff that would stick to the fleece if it is used as backing instead of batting.
Originally Posted by SherriB View Post
Thanks for the replies!! I was hoping others had used it as batting before. I am sure the grands will drag the quilts all over the campground this summer.

Cathyvv, what kind of blankets did you find at WM? I tried using a cheapy blanket but didn't like it after it was quilted. The blanket made the quilt very heavy and it doesn't drape at all.