Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fleece edging >

Fleece edging

Fleece edging

Old 11-12-2011, 01:38 PM

Default Fleece edging

I'm making some fleece quillo's for Christmas and am uncertain how to finish to outer edges. The directions says 'pearl cotton'.
Is that a type of yarn? Could I just use a light yarn with a blanket stitch? Your help will be appreciated. Thanks
Old 11-12-2011, 02:32 PM

You can usually find pearl cotton near the embroidery thread. Sometimes it's packaged just like the embroidery thread and sometimes wrapped around a fat little spool. I've used it for tying quilts.
Old 11-12-2011, 02:38 PM

Pearl cotton is thread, looks like crochet thread, and you can buy it in a skein like embroidery thread, where you have multiple threads woven together so you can use more than one thread in your blanket stitch. Yarn is kind of thick and may leave a larger hole that may stretch out with use over time, where the cotton thread is not as thick and won't make a big hole. Personally, I avoid doing a blanket stitch around my fleece blankets. I use a decorative blade in my rotary cutter - scallop, wave or pinking - and rotary around the edge of the blanket. Doesn't lose it's shape, don't have to worry about repairing broken stitches over time, and doesn't take a lot of time to do.
Old 11-12-2011, 03:11 PM

This is a cool tip, thanks.
Old 11-12-2011, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by lalaland View Post
Pearl cotton is thread, looks like crochet thread, and you can buy it in a skein like embroidery thread, where you have multiple threads woven together so you can use more than one thread in your blanket stitch. Yarn is kind of thick and may leave a larger hole that may stretch out with use over time, where the cotton thread is not as thick and won't make a big hole. Personally, I avoid doing a blanket stitch around my fleece blankets. I use a decorative blade in my rotary cutter - scallop, wave or pinking - and rotary around the edge of the blanket. Doesn't lose it's shape, don't have to worry about repairing broken stitches over time, and doesn't take a lot of time to do.
Thanks for the great tip to finish these blankets, I will take your advise and save myself time.
Old 11-12-2011, 03:52 PM

I cut into the center of the blanket 3-4" every 1/2 inch. Makes a pretty edge.