Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fleece Pillowcases?? >

Fleece Pillowcases??

Fleece Pillowcases??

Old 09-01-2023, 05:31 AM

Default Fleece Pillowcases??

I am thinking about making pillowcases for my great grandchildren as a portion of their Christmas gifts. My daughter brought up the subject of making them out of fleece using patterns featuring their favorite sports teams. I have looked on line for instructions for making them with fleece and am a bit hesitant about making them. I had planned to use quilting cotton in various prints and making them using the combination of three prints as shown in many u-tube videos. They just look more appealing to me but I am wondering if the kids would actually like fleece cases better. Children range in age from one to fourteen. Your opinions appreciated.
Old 09-01-2023, 05:45 AM

Location: I live in Vero Beach, Florida but am originally from Massachusetts.

Personally, I would not want to lay my face on fleece. Children tend to be not as picky. What is you made pillow shams with fleece and a corresponding case out of cotton? Then again if they are your daughter’s children, she would know what they like.
Old 09-01-2023, 06:29 AM

I have a large "body" pillow that is fleece and I do find it rather unpleasant for my face, but it fills a gap along the headboard. I use two pillow cases to cover it.

I don't know what teams the kiddos like,but I can say I have been happy ordering from the College Fabric site
https://www.collegefabricstore.com/
I've had good prompt service, cuts are good, and prices are reasonable -- especially on sale!

It's been awhile and I'm looking for the site I found before, but there are often fan sites that can give you the best matching solid fabrics in various team colors. Here's one for Kona Solids and NFL teams
http://solarthreads.blogspot.com/201...ona-solid.html
Old 09-01-2023, 06:35 AM

Personally, unless living in the artic I would not want to sleep on a fleece pillow case. They are hot and sweaty and do not breath as cotton would.
Old 09-01-2023, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by lindaschipper View Post
Personally, unless living in the artic I would not want to sleep on a fleece pillow case. They are hot and sweaty and do not breath as cotton would.
That's my thought. I'd hate fleece pillowcases
Old 09-01-2023, 08:18 AM

If they are going to be used as pillows for laying on and watching TV or playing on the computer, I think it would work great. I have a neck pillow (shaped like a bone) that I made from fleece and love it. Kids like soft fuzzy things usually, so it might also work for their bed.
Old 09-01-2023, 11:50 AM
Power Poster

Ditto to ThimbleBug's thinking for me!

Kids often cuddle up to their stuffies, so fleece pillow cases make sense. But maybe an oversized pillow covered in fleece with a zipper would do the double duty if not always to be used in bed. Nice and portable if taking away from home too.

ABC123xyz ... Might be best to chat with your DD about the pros/cons and different options/ideas and see what she thinks. Might as well get this bang on right and be labelled the BestGrandmaEver forever! Nothing like being a HeroGrandma@Christmas!!
Old 09-01-2023, 05:29 PM

My dog seems to love his fleece pillowcase and the fleece blankets I have made for his dog bed. Or at least I think he does. I straighten out the blankets, then he jumps into the memory foam dog bed and takes about 5 minutes to arrange the fleece like he wants it.
Old 09-01-2023, 06:30 PM
Power Poster

I have several sets of fleece sheets and pillow cases that I bought ready made and I love them in the winter.
Old 09-02-2023, 09:15 AM

flannel would be fun if you can get it in the team prints. I love my flannel pillowcases and sheets in the winter. Fleece? eeuuu