Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Flimsy? >

Flimsy?

Flimsy?

Old 02-28-2014, 06:49 AM

I understand why some one calls it 'flimsy' but why not just call it a 'quilt top' as that is what it really is. Why do we need to come up with all of these terms that NO one understands except the people that came up with them.
Old 02-28-2014, 08:49 AM
Power Poster

I don't like the term "flimsy" because is has derogatory connotations-- as in something cheap, inferior and prone to falling apart quickly. A well made quilt top is anything but flimsy. I hope this silly term for a quilt top goes by the wayside... and soon.
Old 02-28-2014, 08:55 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post
A flimsy is an unquilted quilt top. Termed as such because compared to the completed, layered, quilted quilt the top is quite flimsy in comparison.

Edited to add that by dictionary terms it is quite fitting. Until the top is quilted it can't be used so hence "ineffective". Washing an unquilted top is flirting with disaster, you may take a tangled mess of strips and threads out of your washer so it is ill advised, hence the definition of weak, without material strength is also quite appropriate. Also think of how flexible an unquilted top is. It really is quite flimsy in structure like a thin kind of paper.

I think the term flimsy is quite applicable for an unfinished top. It is not meant in a derogatory sense but in the literal.
THANKS feline fanatic for making it understandable. Never heard the term before. I just called mine Quilt top.
Old 02-28-2014, 09:03 AM

what a fun post. Love hearing everyone's alternate words and acronyms. When I was growing up we used the word annie-woggle to indicate a diagonal direction. Not in terms of quilting, but in terms of direction, i.e., I'll annie-woggle across the street to the drugstore.
Old 02-28-2014, 09:12 AM

Since the quilters that use the terms 'flimsy' and 'wadding' (i.e. across the Pond/Canada) have probably been using that word a lot longer than those of us in the USA I wonder why/when "we" started started using quilt top/batting?
Old 02-28-2014, 09:35 AM

I've only come across it recently (mostly on this board)... I thought it was a more forgiving term for UFO (and I'm not talking space aliens here)
Old 02-28-2014, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post
A flimsy is an unquilted quilt top. Termed as such because compared to the completed, layered, quilted quilt the top is quite flimsy in comparison.

Edited to add that by dictionary terms it is quite fitting. Until the top is quilted it can't be used so hence "ineffective". Washing an unquilted top is flirting with disaster, you may take a tangled mess of strips and threads out of your washer so it is ill advised, hence the definition of weak, without material strength is also quite appropriate. Also think of how flexible an unquilted top is. It really is quite flimsy in structure like a thin kind of paper.

I think the term flimsy is quite applicable for an unfinished top. It is not meant in a derogatory sense but in the literal.
I had just recently noticed this term being used and it made sense to me. And, felinefanatic, your explanation is really great! I have added it to my quilt vocabulary.
Old 02-28-2014, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by Jingle View Post
Must be a regional thing. I have only noticed lately that term being used. I think I will just refer to tops as tops and let others use whatever term they like.
Me, too. I've never heard a Texas or Oklahoma quilter talk about a flimsy. And since the word has negative connotations for me, I don't think I will start using it. froggyintexas
Old 02-28-2014, 12:15 PM

Thanks, Quilt E for the list. I have always believed I was bi-lingual and now I know that I am. I know WAY too many of those terms and acronyms!
Old 02-28-2014, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
Most of us still call it a quilt top.

Wonky is another word that has a special meaning to quilters. (Well, maybe "special" is not the word. "Dreaded" might be better.)

Wonky I understand; flimsy I've never even heard in reference to a quilt top.