Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: The floor is NOT the best place!

The floor is NOT the best place!

I know I have seen threads on this but I must not be using the right keywords. What is a good way to sandwich a quilt? Right now i am doing it on my livingroom floor, but I foresee a day when my knees won't be able to get me up and down. I tried my diningroom table but I found it difficult to keep the backing smooth after I put my batting and quilt top on it and I had to keep tugging and shaking it....I think some of you said to use your local church but mine is about 40 minutes away (Greek Orthodox).

I have not tried the library yet but I hate the idea of having to wait especially if I am in the right frame of mind to sandwich the thing.

Any ideas? or at least how to make my diningroom table work? Thanks!

I sandwich on a bar type island thing in my kitchen. I use clamps to hold the backing down...using masking tape to hold it until my clamps are all "installed." The clamps are from Harbor Fright and are designed for lumber, I think. (My 'surface is about an inch thick.) My sister bought a ping pong table just for this use, and she uses clamps like those used to hold lots of paper together.

I would want to protect my dining room table somehow, if I used that. I wouldn't want to scratch the top with a pin.

I do have to pin in three different stages....first I do the middle and then I go to each side. I just move the clamps after I am through pinning the area that is on the surface. It works pretty good, though my sister's ping pong table works better.

I hope you figure something out. Pinning on the floor is no fun!

Dina

I use the table, did you clamp your backing to the table before you sandwiched your batting and top on? As you finish a section you unclamp, slide to next area, fold back batting and top, re clamp backing and smooth down batting and top again I got my clamps from the Office Depot, found them in with the paperclips large black clips used for holding thick stacks of paper. Good luck with your search.

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    If you think you'll do this often (3-4x a year) it might be worth considering the purchase of a folding office table like these. They come in handy for SO many things. I use a self-designed 40" x 72" table to baste my quilts. I clamp the backing down first; lay the batting over that, remove each clamp individually and reclamp over the batting and backing, keeping both layers smooth and gently taut. Lay the top over that, again reclamp each one individually, smoothing as I go. If any hangs over the edge, that's fine. I baste (by pin, by thread, or with glue) in the area that is clamped; move the quilt to accommodate the undone area, reclamp, and baste again.

http://www.officedepot.com/a/product...d-Plastic-Top/

Jan in VA
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19552.html

Some churches will let you set up and use some of their tables. I have heard some people use an old ping-pong table. If you have space there are some ping-pong tables that fold up when not in use. My table folds into a full length mirror. Got it from a Sewing Machine dealer/repairman. At the time it seemed like I really splurged, but my daughter told me I deserved it. It was $350.00 - marked down from $400.00. But it is a miracle for me - it is the proper height for me, I am 5'9", the cutting table folds out to 6 feet long opens to 40 inches wide. My husband fell in love with it when he was wrapping gifts one year. The full length mirror is nice to have also. Since it is on wheels it can move easily around the room, or even around the house, but I leave it in the sewing room.

I use bulldog clips to secure the layers on the table. I put one about every 10 inches.
    Here's a good video to get you started. I've used toothpicks instead of skewers.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnke_KzeTI8

Power Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by quiltingcandy View Post
    Some churches will let you set up and use some of their tables. I have heard some people use an old ping-pong table. If you have space there are some ping-pong tables that fold up when not in use. My table folds into a full length mirror. Got it from a Sewing Machine dealer/repairman. At the time it seemed like I really splurged, but my daughter told me I deserved it. It was $350.00 - marked down from $400.00. But it is a miracle for me - it is the proper height for me, I am 5'9", the cutting table folds out to 6 feet long opens to 40 inches wide. My husband fell in love with it when he was wrapping gifts one year. The full length mirror is nice to have also. Since it is on wheels it can move easily around the room, or even around the house, but I leave it in the sewing room.
    Can/Will you post a photo of this? It sounds like something wonderful to have!

Power Poster
    I got myself the knee pads from the dollar store for crawling on the floor. I would rather crawl then lean over a table which makes my back ache.
    I have sandwiched on the back of my garage door when using 505 basting spray and it worked well. I tacked up a fabric strip to the wood above the door first. I then pinned my backing onto the strip. I sprayed the back and smoothed on the batt. Sprayed the batt and smoothed on the top. When I had it just the way I wanted it, I removed the pins holding the whole sandwich to the scrap strip on the door header. I didn't have to worry about any over spray or fumes because it was the garage.

My LQS allows quilters to use their large classroom table for basting. You just have to call ahead to be sure there is not a class going on.

I make my sandwich on the wall (see Patsy Thompson's tutorial). For me, it works so much better than the floor or dining room table. I got cheap poster boards at the dollar store, and tacked them up on the wall. You could use a felt covering so they would stay up on their own; I just pin them to the poster board. It is so easy and fast--much easier to get the backing to be smooth.

I use clamps from Home Depot. Clamp the backing, batting and top. Moving the clamps with each addition. Myglass topped dining table is perfect. I keep moving the quilt and reclamping until all is done. I use large safety pins. Woorks great for me.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Blog Entries
    Well, my way is different, I sandwich my quits standing up...something you might want to think about. I bought 2 sheets of rigid insulation that is 4'x8'...cut one of them in half length wise and duct taped them together so I have a design wall that is 6' wide and 8' tall. I did not attach it to the wall because I move it around in my house, and also take it outside to use. I use spray baste from Hancock's to sandwich my quilts.

1st step: pin the backing all away around to the design wall by smoothing from top to bottom and side to side having the wrong side facing you and spray according to directions.
    2nd step: pin batting along the top of the backing leaving the sides and bottom unpinned, spray batting on the side that will be stuck to the backing. Start smoothing at the top of the batting and work you way down (I start in the middle of the quilt and smooth to the outside, like hanging wallpaper).
    3rd step: pin top to the batting and backing along the top only with the right side out. Spray batting and back side of the top and then smooth all the way down, starting in the middle and working your way down.
    4th step: optional - I use a few safety pins, about 1 every 2 feet, just to stabilize the quilt until I am ready to FMQ and bind.

I am 73 years old and this is the only way I sandwich a quilt. I do have to climb up on a step stool because I am only 5' tall, but that is much easier than crawling around on the floor! I move everything to the garage if the weather is bad so that I can't open doors and windows. Also, I don't have any problem with overspray because I stop about a foot from each edge. If a little gets on the floor it doesn't seem to be a problem.

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I use folding tables. The real key for me is to put the batting down first. Then I smooth the backing over it. I generally spray baste of Elmer's baste. I then flip it all over and do the top. The batting seems to set still better on the bottom then the backing does.

tj
    check out the way sharon schamber does it i have done it like this and it works great no wrinkles in the backing it's great and easy http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HyaLs..._h42qQ&index=6
    hope it helps =-)

Blog Entries
    I am no longer able to get down on the floor to baste my quilts. My knees, even with knee pads, just won't take the abuse. I bought two folding tables from Kmart a month ago. They are 48 x 72 inches. and fold in half for easy storage. They also have a nylon padded carrying handle for easy carrying.

I was super lucky the day I got them. They were on sale for half off of the regular price of $70+++. I will be able to use them in our family room when I need to baste a quilt.
    Sherri

I use my table starting in the middle and then working each direction.

Name:  basting mindy's choice.jpg
Views: 560
Size:  136.1 KBThis is how I baste on a wall.

Quote Originally Posted by JNCT14 View Post
    I know I have seen threads on this but I must not be using the right keywords. What is a good way to sandwich a quilt? Right now i am doing it on my livingroom floor, but I foresee a day when my knees won't be able to get me up and down. I tried my diningroom table but I found it difficult to keep the backing smooth after I put my batting and quilt top on it and I had to keep tugging and shaking it....I think some of you said to use your local church but mine is about 40 minutes away (Greek Orthodox).

I have not tried the library yet but I hate the idea of having to wait especially if I am in the right frame of mind to sandwich the thing.

Any ideas? or at least how to make my diningroom table work? Thanks!
    I'm lucky that I have access to the dining room at my church. Big stuff goes up there---------although most of my projects are smaller.

any chance of using an 8x4 piece of plywood on saw horses in your garage----------or your living room---------or your basement.
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

I use my 30X72 folding table and clamps like others but to make it higher I got some bed risers which are about 6" high that go under the legs. I found the risers for a good price at Big Lots. Sure makes it easier on the back
    I Quilt Therefore I Am

Pat

I used to use a LQS's tables when they weren't having classes. I have also used church tables when there for quilting.

Now: I use my HQ16.
    Have fun quilting! If it isn't fun, you will miss a lot.
    ali

yel
    Blog Entries
    i got one of those plastic tables that the top folds in half.......bog lots for about 1/2 the price of office depot

I use my dining room table, lay one of the cardboard cutting mats on it and clip the backing to the cardboard with spring type clothespins.
    Gloria 

There are so many good ideas here. A friend and I went to her place of work after hours, set up the tables in the training room and pinned two quilts. I've also used the island in the kitchen - though that isn't quite as handy - the quilt has to be moved a lot. Where there is a will there is a way!

I use a ping pong table, that my son wanted to sell, I told him NO, I use it to lay out quilts. When it was in my garage, I would put it in the drive way on a nice day, now I have it in my finished basement family room, that we don't use anymore since the kids have grown up.
    Dyan

Quote Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
    If you think you'll do this often (3-4x a year) it might be worth considering the purchase of a folding office table like these. They come in handy for SO many things. I use a self-designed 40" x 72" table to baste my quilts. I clamp the backing down first; lay the batting over that, remove each clamp individually and reclamp over the batting and backing, keeping both layers smooth and gently taut. Lay the top over that, again reclamp each one individually, smoothing as I go. If any hangs over the edge, that's fine. I baste (by pin, by thread, or with glue) in the area that is clamped; move the quilt to accommodate the undone area, reclamp, and baste again.

http://www.officedepot.com/a/product...d-Plastic-Top/

Jan in VA
    I have 2 of these tables that I set up side by side, to sandwich my quilts on, using big clamps. works great.
    Freedom is costly and quilting keeps us busy...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast