Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Floor Quilts

I am going to have to try the drop cloths method.

Don't think I'm ready to use quilts as rugs, but....I did see a suggestion to run squiggly lines of latex caulk or hot glue on the back of a rug instead of buying the rug grippers.

Like all the ideas, will try the drop cloth method first - think that would really work well for my needs. Thanks everyone for all the info

They are beautiful!! I'm not sure I could bring myself to walk on one of the quilts, but the canvas I'd have no problem with!!
    Patti
    __________________________________________________ ________________________
    Humor is the great thing, the saving thing. The minute it crops up, all our irritations and resentments slip away and a sunny spirit takes their place.
    ~Mark Twain

There are 2 different kinds of floor quilts in the sites you have listed. The first one is about making a quilt and just using it on the floor. The second site is a book about making floor quilts that using fabric on some kind of canvas material and then using decoupage to seal the fabrics and use on the floor. We have a quilt shop owner that does classes on the decoupage rugs. I personally like the idea of making a quilt to use as a rug.....maybe....

first there were wall warmers, then bed warmers, now floor warmers............easier to buy a rug already made and save my fabric for "real" quilts..........

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
    Thanks MaggieLou ... no luck on the googles for anything here yet. Called Michael's, Lowes and Home Depot and no luck. Now that of course doesn't say it doesn't exist as sad to say customer service in the three is never known as a strong point!

Thinking I might contact Testworth direct to find their Canadian distributor, I found this ...
    http://www.epa.gov/Region5/cleanup/t...abs/index.html
    Perhaps the production rights were sold off to someone else?

Does the product keep the carpet/fabric flexible? or does it become somewhat hard?
    Thanks!

JoAnn's has it online. They don't carry it in the stores. They call it Fiber-Lok Rug Backing. Here's the link.

http://www.joann.com/search/_rug%20backing/
    Margaret

"If the devil could dance in empty pockets, he'd have a ball in mine."

Life is a coin. You can spend it any way you wish but you can only spend it once.

Blog Entries
    Here is a picture of a floor quilt/rug that I want to make. It is made with three Stonehenge panels and a backing piece. You sew them together in strips, then chenille it and paint the anti-slip material on the back. It is soooooooooooo gorgeous. I saw it in a quilt shop in Puyallup, WA during the summer. I am going to a Stonehenge trunk show in Phoenix AZ this coming Saturday and hope they have some of the panels there. Anyone from AZ going to that trunk show?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    JudyG

Blog Entries
    I never even thought of this idea, but it is wonderful. I was thinking about a little throw rug in my laundry room, just so clothes taken out of the washer don't fall on the floor. A quilt rug is a perfect solution. (I was going to crochet one, but this is so much better.)

I used to make painted floor cloths/rugs and any rubberized paint will work for a backing. You can buy it at the big box stores. They sell it usually for 2 purposes - non-skid rubber step coatings, and some of the truck bed liners that come in a gallon can. Both stay flexible and are washable.

Quote Originally Posted by MaggieLou View Post
    JoAnn's has it online. They don't carry it in the stores. They call it Fiber-Lok Rug Backing. Here's the link. http://www.joann.com/search/_rug%20backing/
    Yes, I found that ... however, I am in Canada ..........
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!

They have stores in Canada. I would think they have a warehouse too. Maybe one of the stores could tell you if they do.
    Margaret

Life is a coin. You can spend it any way you wish but you can only spend it once.

I have made a few. I love them. Wash , dry & put back down. Get in the winter with snow. I do often use scraps for them.

Blog Entries
    Awesome I like the idea. I want to make one for my dining room for my puppies under the table. But I want to make it out of jeans.
    Sandra
    Treat people the way you want to be treated!!

Blog Entries
    A quilted floor rug just opens up so many more ways to use my quilting ideas, especially art quilts that are running through my head all the time. Quilting doesn't need to be just for beds coverings or wallhangings.

Linda

Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound, that saved a wretch like me. I once was lost but now am found, was blind, but now I see.
    [John Newton (1725-1807)]

http://sewextremeseams.blogspot.com/

Not me.......I couldn't bare to walk on one!!!

I have frequently made quilts to give as baby shower gifts. Instead of the usual crib quilts, I make them larger, about 60 or 65 inches square, sometimes even larger. I tell the mother that the quilt is to throw on the floor for baby to play on. Since they are made to throw on the floor, I don't take the pains with it that I would for one that would usually be hung on the side of the crib for show. This is where I try to use up scraps. Floor quilts were what we usee to do for babies before wall to wall carpeting, central heating and A/C.
    Happy quilting Grandma

Sorry about misspelled words. In this case, it's not me, it's Spell-check. I corrected one word 6 times and Spell-check changed it back to its idea each time.
    Happy quilting Grandma

Quote Originally Posted by MaggieLou View Post
    They have stores in Canada. I would think they have a warehouse too. Maybe one of the stores could tell you if they do.
    Not that I've ever known .... I just now did some googling and didn't find anything about them.

Where in particular?

Did you know that Joann now ships to Canada?

Quote Originally Posted by EasyPeezy View Post
    Did you know that Joann now ships to Canada?
    Yes ... though I did not find it on their site.

And too, it may be something they would not be able to ship, because of the type of product.

Blog Entries
    I have read the book but did not start due to the number of different chemicals used to protect. I have made small quilts which get thrown on the floor, they are intended for the dogs to lie on or for my feet on cold wooden floors. A mat for the floor would use pieces of fabric and rag rug or ?...Wrap scraps around thick cord and sew on a sewing machine with a zigzag stitch. Can also make baskets using same method( sorry senile moment) forgot name. These methods are thicker and more solid than quilts.(very old way of making carpets by the poor)
    Finished is better than a UFO

Not that I've ever known .... I just now did some googling and didn't find anything about them.

Where in particular?
    They don't have stores in Canada but they do ship to Canada via DHL. I called their 800-# and asked.
    Margaret

I don't think I could ever walk on a quilt on purpose.
    When it seems like the world is falling to pieces remember that the pieces are falling into place. We are nearing closer to the End Times.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast