Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Flour sacks >

Flour sacks

Flour sacks

Old 08-23-2011, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by Quilt Mom
As to the mill - I think it is in Humboldt, NE. I live less than 60 miles from there. If I watch, I can usually find flour in fabric sacks at the local grocery.

For information on feedsacks, there is this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvOM2Q7G2DQ

and this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iEoF...eature=related
This is a very informative video. I have a Purina sack with the fighting roosters but it's faded, not bright like the one in her collection.
Old 08-23-2011, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by SharonTheriault
There was a joke going around some time ago about a mother making underwear for her son out of flour sacks and every time he f**ted it smelled like fresh baked biscuits.

Originally Posted by Ellen
I saw Eleanor Burns in Paducah when she was talking about flour sacks...told a story about her grandmother making underwear for her grandfather out of flour sacks and right across the front of one pair it said "Self Rising". I thought the tent would collapse. Sooooo funny.
ROFLOL :)
Old 08-23-2011, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by Ann912
My grandmother made dresses for my cousin and I from feedsacks. She would choose enough bags with the same print so our dresses would be alike.
So did mine. Then when we outgrew them she made quilts with them.
Old 08-23-2011, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by Patti Mahoney
Originally Posted by Quilt Mom
A little research into flour sacks will also show that the sacks originally used were printed. In the depression, companies sold goods (flour, sugar, animal feed, etc.) in fabric sacks. As added incentive to buy, the companies used fabrics that the housewife/mother would use for clothing, curtains, quilts. It is quite interesting to see the variety of items made from the old sacks. A friend of my mother's told of wearing underclothing that still had the brand name of the sugar company on it.

As to current flour sacks, there are still companies that use the fabric. We pay a premium for it here, to get flour in fabric. I have not used the flour sack (towels?) from Sam's. Let us know how it works.
I have a questions about flour sacks used for selling flour and sugar. Didn't the flour and sugar seep out of the fabric??? I don't ever remember my Mom buying flour and sugar in fabric sacks, before my time maybe, I'd imagine, I'm 54. Did you actually get a lb. of food if it was packaged in fabric sacks??? Just a silly question I've always wondered about.
I believe flour came in 25lb sacks. Can't remember for sure, but I know they were pretty large. We only made a major shopping trip to town once a month. We kids were allowed to go to the movies while the Folks shopped. Cost of a movie was a whopping 7cents per kid! Dad would pick up anything we ran out of when he went to the gin, or hauling cattle to sale barn. This was a time of rationing, so we were pretty careful about how fast we used some things up.
Old 08-23-2011, 01:52 PM

Many of the calico prints that we used so much of in our quilts are reproductions of flour sack designs that feed companys used to entice husbands to buy their brand, knowing the wives would put them to good use - it worked. I understand many husbands were sent back to the feed store, because they bought sacks that didn't match (even then we were a bossy group, I love it) LOL
Old 08-23-2011, 06:32 PM

One of our friends worked in his Fathers feed store with his brothers, He has told of having to move 20 bags of chicken feed to find some lady enough matching fabric to make a garment. He was glad when they put the feed in paper sacks.
Old 08-23-2011, 06:36 PM

I have never bought flour in cloth sacks, only the 25lb paper bags. I remember early in my marriage my father commenting on the amount of flour I was using and he said the bag didn't have 25lbs, it had 24lbs. I showed him the label with 25lbs. He remembered flour in cloth bags that did not have 25 pounds. The measurement had to do with the number of pounds packed in barrels!! He was born in 1912 and lived through some tough times in a large family. I didn't understand then and I still don't but I believe him.

I believe flour came in 25lb sacks. Can't remember for sure, but I know they were pretty large. We only made a major shopping trip to town once a month. We kids were allowed to go to the movies while the Folks shopped. Cost of a movie was a whopping 7cents per kid! Dad would pick up anything we ran out of when he went to the gin, or hauling cattle to sale barn. This was a time of rationing, so we were pretty careful about how fast we used some things up.
I looked around and see what I found from the State of Mississippi Code Weights & Measures:

Flour, in barrels, per barrel ........................... 196 pounds net
Flour, in half barrels ................................... 98 pounds net
Flour, in one-fourth barrel sacks ........................ 48 pounds net
Flour, in one-eighth barrel sacks ........................ 24 pounds net
Looks like Daddy knew what he was talking about.
Old 08-23-2011, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by Greenheron

Looks like Daddy knew what he was talking about.
He definitely did. I think it was sometime around WWII that they standardized measurements by the pounds (as in - 5, 10, 25, 50 and 100 lbs.) rather than by what what came in a barrel.
Old 08-23-2011, 08:29 PM

When I was just a girl in the 30's my mother made dresses and panties to match for all four of us girls, My dad was a miner in the foothills of Calif, working at a gold mine for $30.00 a month, so mama made our clothes from the flour sacks that the flour came in, I have a pillow case full of the old original flour sack material , plan on making a log cabin quilt out of it as well as using muslin for it too :lol:
Old 08-23-2011, 08:34 PM

I dyed my prom shoes in a sink of hot water and instant coffee grounds!