Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Flower Garden Quilt >

Flower Garden Quilt

Flower Garden Quilt

Old 06-14-2011, 11:27 AM

Hi!
I am wanting to start a hexagon flower garden quilt. I am thinking of doing the English paper piecing technique and was wonder if the plastic Mylar hexagon templates is the way to go or print off freezer paper templates? Any suggestions would be appreciated. I am totally new tp English paper piecing
:roll:
Old 06-14-2011, 11:38 AM

Try a few different things too see what works for you. I used the tab pages from an old notebook, punched a hole in the center for easier removal. The freezer papers aren't stiff enough for me, but a lot of people like them. Try the subscription thingies that are in magazines and see if they work for you. You need a lot because you leave them in as the project grows. I take out the center ones if I have attached them together.
I baste a stitch at the corner and middle of the corners and don't take out the basting, it doesn't show when you are finished.
GFG is a relaxing project, but comes together slowly, for me any way! :lol:
Old 06-14-2011, 11:39 AM
Power Poster

I am doing one using the freezer paper EPP. I printed off my own templates on the freezer paper. It takes a lot of time but I enjoy the whole process. :) I think I'm about ½ done.
Old 06-14-2011, 11:43 AM

I have not use the mylar templets, so can't give advise on them. Some people swear by them. Nor have I tried the freezer paper method, which I know a lot of people use. You can also purchase precut papers. I'm cheap! so I just print out the hexagon's on scrap paper, and cut them out. I can usually reuse the papers 3 to 5 times. Have fun with your flower garden quilt, which ever method you use.
Old 06-14-2011, 11:56 AM

Thank you everyone! From what I am reading from all of you that you do use paper in one form or another so will give that a try first! I like to save money when I can! I am thinking if using a 1 inch template...as that about the size you all use to give you a decent size flower?
Old 06-14-2011, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by humbird
I have not use the mylar templets, so can't give advise on them. Some people swear by them. Nor have I tried the freezer paper method, which I know a lot of people use. You can also purchase precut papers. I'm cheap! so I just print out the hexagon's on scrap paper, and cut them out. I can usually reuse the papers 3 to 5 times. Have fun with your flower garden quilt, which ever method you use.
Your avatar pic is beautiful!

I make my own from tracing around a template on cereal boxes. I like to work with a stiffer template than the freezer paper. The cardboard is stiff enough to hold the fabric tight when I sew it, yet it's flexable to remove when I have my flower sewn together.
Kas

Go to Stamps By Kate online and get yourself some stamps! I love how fast it is to stamp a whole bunch and then cut them out. Then I just sew on the line, no basting through paper and then unbasting. Just sewing! I am having so much fun with it.
Old 06-14-2011, 12:02 PM

I used regular copy paper. That is a great tutorial on here and she has provided a template that has ten hexagons on a page. All you need to do is print a bunch off and cut them out. I made a template for my fabric using one of the cheap flexible cutting mats from Walmart. I made it 1/4 inch larger on all sides. I use that to cut my fabric with a rotary cutter. I use the 45mm cutter and cut four layers of fabric at a time. I love doing this when riding. I also take it camping with me. Have fun!!
Old 06-14-2011, 12:03 PM

LOVE THE STAMPS BY KATE IDEA. THANKS