Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Flying Geese instructions >

Flying Geese instructions

Flying Geese instructions

Old 07-26-2010, 02:39 PM

I'm making a mystery quilt and I just ran across some instructions I've never seen before. I hope I can write this so that it makes sense. So, keeping in mind that a flying geese block is made from one rectangle and two squares. I've always drawn a line down the middle of the square, stitched across it (corner to corner), then folded it up. The parts underneath (the corner of the rectangle and the corner of the square) get cut off leaving a 1/4" seam allowance. So, the instructions I'm using said this:

"We like to keep the base piece (the rectangle) intact for accuracy, so trim to 1/4" on the B patch (the square) only. This is sometimes called a sew-and-fold corner. Repeat for the other side."

So I took that to mean that I should fold both the rectangle and the square back, and cut just the middle triangle. Get it?

My question is this: how does that help for accuracy? Is this the usual way to make a flying geese block? Maybe I've been doing it wrong? What say you, oh wise ones?
Old 07-26-2010, 03:06 PM
KR

I'm re-learning a lot about quilting, and have been making flying geese blocks the "traditional" way....not a perfect system, to say the least! I haven't run into the directions you are using, but I just found Eleanor Burns's video tutorial at http://www.quiltinaday.com/televisio...geeseruler.asp

She's promoting her specialized ruler, but also gives directions for using a regular ruler. Karen
Old 07-26-2010, 03:11 PM

Let me see if I can explain.
when you press the small triangle(square) back on itself, you line it up with the corner of the rectangle.
this will make the corners square.
then trim off the waste triangles.
keeps everthing from getting ironed crooked!
Old 07-26-2010, 03:47 PM

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-24196-1.htm

That's the link for the One Seam Flying Geese by Ricky Tims........it is so cool!
Old 07-26-2010, 04:01 PM

Ifw045,,,That Is how I make my flying geese...
Old 07-26-2010, 05:46 PM

Thanks for your help. They do seem more sturdy.
Old 07-27-2010, 04:29 AM

"We like to keep the base piece (the rectangle) intact for accuracy, so trim to 1/4" on the B patch (the square) only. This is sometimes called a sew-and-fold corner. Repeat for the other side."

So I took that to mean that I should fold both the rectangle and the square back, and cut just the middle triangle. Get it?

My question is this: how does that help for accuracy? Is this the usual way to make a flying geese block? Maybe I've been doing it wrong? What say you, oh wise ones?
If you do not cut away the original rectangle, you do not lose the integrity of the block. The only problem you will have with this is when the rectangle is dark and the triangle is light. The result is a shadow of the dark showing through.
Old 07-27-2010, 05:28 AM
Power Poster

i think they tell you to only cut the square's triangle because leaving the rectangle's corner intact will add some stability...but it also adds bulk.

i use a different way totally to make flying geese blocks, it works great for me and you make 4 geese quite quickly

for a 6 1/2" flying geese unit...
cut a 7 1/4" background square (this is going to be the center triangle part)
cut (4) 3 1/2" squares. draw a line diagnally from corner to corner on each of these squares.
line up one square on the corner of the background square with your drawn line pointing from the corner to the center. line up a second square the same way on the opposite corner, so the 2 squares overlap a little bit in the center and the lines are lined up even. place a couple pins to hold them in place. stitch 1/4" on each side of the drawn line. press flat to set the seams then cut on the drawn line. take to ironing board and lay it down with the large triangle facing up, press and fold it back so the 2 (points) underneith are showing, press. (the seam will be toward the large half.) take your 2 left over squares and place them one each on one of the units you made lining up the corner with the drawn line running from corner to center. stitch 1/4" on each side of the line. cut apart and press as before...and you have 4 flying geese units complete.
i do use the elenor burns flying geese ruler to square up my blocks but these turn out so good, and easy...i used to hate making flying geese units, now they are a piece of cake :)
Old 07-27-2010, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by ckcowl
i think they tell you to only cut the square's triangle because leaving the rectangle's corner intact will add some stability...but it also adds bulk.

i use a different way totally to make flying geese blocks, it works great for me and you make 4 geese quite quickly

for a 6 1/2" flying geese unit...
cut a 7 1/4" background square (this is going to be the center triangle part)
cut (4) 3 1/2" squares. draw a line diagnally from corner to corner on each of these squares.
line up one square on the corner of the background square with your drawn line pointing from the corner to the center. line up a second square the same way on the opposite corner, so the 2 squares overlap a little bit in the center and the lines are lined up even. place a couple pins to hold them in place. stitch 1/4" on each side of the drawn line. press flat to set the seams then cut on the drawn line. take to ironing board and lay it down with the large triangle facing up, press and fold it back so the 2 (points) underneith are showing, press. (the seam will be toward the large half.) take your 2 left over squares and place them one each on one of the units you made lining up the corner with the drawn line running from corner to center. stitch 1/4" on each side of the line. cut apart and press as before...and you have 4 flying geese units complete.
i do use the elenor burns flying geese ruler to square up my blocks but these turn out so good, and easy...i used to hate making flying geese units, now they are a piece of cake :)
Thanks for the tutorial!