Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Flying Geese leftovers >

Flying Geese leftovers

Flying Geese leftovers

Old 12-10-2014, 05:58 AM

I too prefer the rectangle and two squares method. I sew the trimmings together and often use them in the border of the quilt.
Old 12-10-2014, 06:42 AM
Power Poster

My favorite method is also the rectangle with two squares. When I trim, I keep the two scrap triangles together in a zip loc baggy (quart size) and then use them as leaders and enders making HST. Typically, from a FG unit that finishes at 2" x 4" (the size I seem to use more than any other) the scrap HST after squaring up I can get an unfinished 1 3/4" HST. Many times I further trim down to 1 1/2" size as I use that size a lot more. I then store the squared up HST in zip loc bags according to size. I am saving them up to make a tree of life scrap quilt but there are thousands of block patterns that use HST.
Old 12-10-2014, 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by Krisb View Post
I like the four at a time method, but the rectangle and two squares is my second favorite, and is much better if you are using scraps. I use the leftovers for half square triangles.
I agree with Krisb. I make HST IF they are big enough! (I can get kind of obsessive about using EVERY little piece!) If they are too little they go into my dog bed scraps. I also like to sew two together to get a scrappy flying goose. I have a project in mind for those-SOMEDAY!
Old 12-10-2014, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
I keep a tote full of little triangles from years of making HSTs by snowballing the corners. (I only cut out the MIDDLE LAYER because this allows the original correct shape rectangle to remain for matching to the next block segment.)

Jan in VA
Yes! I do the very same thing.....sure makes a difference in joining those blocks!
Old 12-10-2014, 05:38 PM

I use QIAD's Flying Geese rulers.

We learned how to use the ruler in a BOM class: as the years have gone by I've bought every set from the tiny geese to the giant flying honkers.

I'll add that buying that first ruler wasn't a requirement for that month's block: she also showed us how to make them using the rectangle and two squares. But once I tried EB's ruler, there was no going back!

BTW, if you ever have a chance to see Eleanor's show at a quilt show, go! She's an absolute scream.
Old 12-10-2014, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by NJ Quilter View Post
This is probably heresy in this group - but I just toss 'em. They are typically too small for me to do anything with and I'm not a 'scrappy' person.
Me too, I toss them!
Old 12-10-2014, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
​Rectangle and 2 squares is my favourite method too.
I do the same. And I don't save the triangles. Of course, I've only made small flying geese so there isn't much waste. [I know, some of you are freaking out!]
Old 12-10-2014, 08:58 PM

There is a method called "no waste flying geese" and once I found that method, that's the only way I make them. Do a Google search for this method to get the sewing instructions.
Old 12-11-2014, 03:34 AM

Originally Posted by jeanne49 View Post
There is a method called "no waste flying geese" and once I found that method, that's the only way I make them. Do a Google search for this method to get the sewing instructions.
I found this to be a good tute on "no waste". I like this method as they seem to come out so crisp.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhTYlIFgpXQ
Old 12-11-2014, 04:37 AM

I made a quilt that had over 200 flying geese units so I experimented with several ways to make flying geese. The best way I found is the Eleanor Burns method. After hours of frustration and uneven patches I love making the geese blocks with this method. Come out perfect every time.